PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] screensaver freezes totally

lazylew
September 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron

my screensaver freezes totally after a while

I worked around this by setting the screensaver to not start unless a long inactivity, but when I'm away from the pc for say 2 hours (like when I fell asleep today earlier on;-)) the damage is done again

nothing helps, because the keyboard is inactive then too (I can tell by numlock and capslock) and even ctrl alt del or ctrl alt backspace do nothing so I have to use the cold start button, which I believe for UNIX, and thus for Linux systems too, can be very dangerous

apart from deactivating the screensaver completely, any solutions for this?

phidia
September 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
If you have any visual effects enabled (look in System > Preferences > Appearance)
disable them and see if that stops the freezing.

waspbr
September 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
just outta curiosity, what graphics card do u have?

lazylew
September 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
...visual effects enabled (look in System > Preferences > Appearance)...
those were already disabled

k33bz
September 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
out of curiousty which screensaver application are you using? As well as which screensavers do you have enabled to run within the screensaver application?

lazylew
September 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
just outta curiosity, what graphics card do u have?
graphics or video card are the same thing, I guess?
in which case:
sis 650_651_M650_740

Kevbert
September 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Does the same screensaver fail every time ? I set mine to random and found one (braid) would always lock up the PC. If others work OK you can remove the problem one.

PocketDog
September 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I had this today actually, using the Flurry screensaver. I hate forced shutdowns so I disabled my screensaver and set the screen to turn off instead (using power options). I don't want to have to do that again... ATI Radeon X1250 here by the way, they're not exactly reliable using the proprietary drivers

lazylew
September 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Does the same screensaver fail every time ? I set mine to random and found one (braid) would always lock up the PC. If others work OK you can remove the problem one.
it's the one that mixes all sorts, yes, called "random"
it works good for a while, like 20 to 25 minutes or so, before it freezes everything

lazylew
September 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
out of curiousty which screensaver application are you using? As well as which screensavers do you have enabled to run within the screensaver application?
oops - almost overlooked your post...
it's the default screensaver that comes with ubuntu hardy heron
setting on random

Kevbert
September 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
it's the one that mixes all sorts, yes, called "random"
it works good for a while, like 20 to 25 minutes or so, before it freezes everything

Right, random uses all installed screensavers. If you think you know the exact one that causes the PC to lock up, just run that one on it's own to prove it is at fault.
Perform a reboot/reset and select random again for screensavers.
With the desktop displayed press Alt-F2 and enter gconf-editor in the box and select run. Now go to /apps/gnome-screensaver (double click on apps to expand). Now in the right-hand window scroll down to themes and double click on themes to get a new window. Scroll down in the Values box until you find the troublesome screensaver, highlight it with the mouse and select remove. Select OK and close all windows.
Unfortunately every time the screensavers are updated with a newer release version you'll need to do this.

lazylew
September 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Right, random uses all installed screensavers. If you think you know the exact one that causes the PC to lock up, just run that one on it's own to prove it is at fault.
Perform a reboot/reset and select random again for screensavers.
With the desktop displayed press Alt-F2 and enter gconf-editor in the box and select run. Now go to /apps/gnome-screensaver (double click on apps to expand). Now in the right-hand window scroll down to themes and double click on themes to get a new window. Scroll down in the Values box until you find the troublesome screensaver, highlight it with the mouse and select remove. Select OK and close all windows.
Unfortunately every time the screensavers are updated with a newer release version you'll need to do this.
I don't think it's one particular screensaver, because the frozen pictures were clearly very different.
I will set the screensaver to one of those and try out your workaround though. Thanks for the pointers on how to do it.

lazylew
September 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think it's one particular screensaver...
Turns out it must be one (or some?) particular one(s), because I tested "cosmos" and it doesn't freeze.

This is good enough for me right now; gives me more time to figure out other basic Linux stuff I haven't figured out yet :)

I'll leave that workaround till I get tired of the present screensaver, and I'm keeping the well appreciated notes.

miscellanyous
September 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot, Kevbert for your solution.

I also had this problem with the screensaver (and screensaver preview) freezing the desktop. The problematic screen saver was "Molecule" - all the other ones work fine.

My system: Ubuntu 7.10, GNOME 2.20.0
graphics card: ATI rage 128
driver: ati

Sidney232
December 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, I found out that 'molecule' totally freezes everything for me too. I'm a but stuck now because if I open up the Screensaver window to change it the little demo version locks everything up too.
Does anyone have any nice terminal commands to change screensavers?
And to delete 'molecule' from the list available?

PeterCat
January 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm having the same problem with "Molecule" locking up the preview window. Any ideas?

Sidney232
January 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, I managed to solve this 'molecule' problem the next time I rebooted my PC. I went to the setup and changed screen saver and it wasn't a problem. I think I may have clicked another screen saver before the molecule demo got going properly.

karasu337
December 11th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Just to add to the data gathering process. GLMatrix was mine. And I had full visual effects running. But it didn't happen every time.