PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu freeze

buntu_1010
September 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
hi all,
i am using ubuntu hardy(8.04) on dell d520. it was working fine, but from few days back it has started freezing suddenly.there is no sound...nothing works... most of the time it is when i play amarok or vlc, and even when many tabs opened in firefox....
i tried ctrl+alt+backspace or rather all combinations but nothing work that time. it only resume when i restart the laptop.
my system has:
-> dual OS ubuntu 8.04 and windows XP
-> 1 gb ram and 60 gb hard disk

this problem is really freaking me out..
can someone get me out of this....

molvistan
September 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
i have the same problem on my dell vostro 1510, it freezes whilst im playing games such as armagetronad, it also freezes when the screensaver is on. No key combinations work; i have to restart the computer.

Raizen Isildur
September 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I got this problem too. When i start Pidgin, or sometimes when i'm just in firefox, ubuntu freezes. I can move the cursor, but nothing else. I need to restart my PC(it's a desktop, not laptop). I also have Dual Boot, WIn XP and Ubunt. I think the problem appeared when i installed the latest updates. Can someone help ?

Crafty Kisses
September 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
It could be a resource issue, what are the results of this command:

ejetzer
January 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I have a (very) similar problem, and when I run
top, I get a list of all processess, data about the memory usage, cpu usage, and more. Is there something you'd need to know mor precisely?