PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what linux live cd do I use to get windows 2000 password

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 01:46 AM
I am trying to get the password for a windows 2000 computer for refurbishing. What is the name of the linux live disc I use? Also what are the names for getting the password for xp, vista, 98, 95, mac osx, and lepeord?

drubin
September 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM
First: Why do you not have the passwords?
Second: Should you have access to the systems if you do not have access to the passwords?

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM
yes, I was given the computer by a teacher of a computer class I am in. It is very old with a p3 processer, so he just wanted to get rid of it. I am only trying to get into windows so I can install ubuntu because booting from the disk is not working.

k33bz
September 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
If you cant boot from the disk how are you going to install it?

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
yes, I was given the computer by a teacher of a computer class I am in. It is very old with a p3 processer, so he just wanted to get rid of it. I am only trying to get into windows so I can install ubuntu because booting from the disk is not working.
You don't need to get into Windows to install Ubuntu. If the CDROM drive is plugged in correctly (and works) then all you should need to do, is load in the Ubuntu LiveCD at bootup, and you can install from then on out.

drubin
September 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM

The the more important question is, Why is it not booting from disk?

Also you do NOT need to know what the windows password is in order to boot from the Ubuntu CD to install it.

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM
If I try booting from the disk it says that my bios does not meet the cutoff 2000 (1999) and if I ignore that and keep going, when I try to install it it gives me an SQUAH error with lots of words flashing and numbers counting up on the right side, and eventually the screen just goes blank.

mc4100
September 21st, 2008, 02:32 AM
Did you check the Integrity of the CD? Sounds like a corrupt file (ie., bad burn).

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM
I checked the cd using the ubuntu cd checker, but it didn't find anything wrong, although another computer of mine that I installed ubuntu on using this disk had a random system boot failure, and if I tried to reinstall it would always get stuck at the partition editor (no partitions would show up) so I could not reinstall. So i hooked it up to another comp via hard drive enclosure (2.5" IDE) and deleted all the partitions to see if that would help, but it still got stuck at the partition editor. SO maybe it is the disk.

user11
January 11th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Check the IDE cable connections, and set the jumpers on the drives to CS (cable select). If this doesn't work, swap out the IDE cable for one you know that works. If that doesn't work, it's a bad hdd.