PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] compiz and virtual box

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM
i have been dual booting ubuntu with windows vista for a long time now

recently i came across this video where someone has setup a virtual box with its own designated side of the compiz cube

see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtaFlZuleE

i think this looks like an awesome idea but i have no idea how to set it up

(ive never used a virtual box)

my first question is performance

i have a gateway laptop with an intel pentium dual @1.47GHz and 1GB Ram

how would the performance of windows XP SP3 (with performance tweaks) in a Virtual box compare to using vista SP1(no tweaks) as a dual boot?

my second question is where do i start?

does anyone know any good links that could help me get this setup?

Pro-reason
September 21st, 2008, 02:50 AM
They've just run VirtualBox in full screen mode. In that way, it occupies a side of the cube.

Get the full version of VirtualBox.

Do this in a terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this line to the file:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian hardy non-free

Save and close. Do this in the terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox
VirtualBox

Use the GUI to set up a virtual machine, and install XP on it.

ThrobbingBrain66
September 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
my second question is where do i start?

does anyone know any good links that could help me get this setup?

If you have a retail version of XP, using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) will help performance a lot. I was able to trim XP down to a 1.5 GB base install. Performance is really good, though not quite as good as a normal installation.

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Get the full version of VirtualBox.

i tried adding the repository you gave me but i get this error when i try to do apt-get update

W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAE

Pro-reason
September 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
i tried adding the repository you gave me but i get this error when i try to do apt-get update

W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAE

Ah, I should have warned you.

That message is normal, because VirtualBox don't seem to offer a public key. Just ignore the “error”, and proceed to install the program.

Actually, I've just noticed that the repository includes two packages: virtualbox and virtualbox-2.0. It appears that they have released a new version. I'm going to give it a try.

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 03:20 AM
ok

so i installed it but how do i open it?

i tried just typing virtualbox in the terminal but it says its not installed

also there is no menu entry

EDIT: nevermind it must not have installed correctly the first time, i just reinstalled and now it works

EDIT AGAIN: ok nevermind lol, i still can't figure out how to open it

ThrobbingBrain66
September 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

You can download the repo key and register Virtualbox with that command. It's located at the bottom of this page:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
thanks

that key worked

but i still cant figure out how to start the virtualbox GUI

also how do i make myself part of the vboxusers group

ThrobbingBrain66
September 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
System > Administration > Users and Groups

Unlock it with your password, then click manage groups, scroll to vboxusers, click properties and add yourself.

Virtualbox puts it's launcher in Applications > System Tools. That menu isn't enabled by default so you may have to edit the menu to show it. Otherwise, to launch virtualbox from the terminal, you just type
VirtualBox

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 03:53 AM
yea well i installed the one that pro-reason sugested but it did not make a menu entry

also that command gave me an error saying that i dont have virtualbox installed

so i did sudo apt-get remove virtualbox

then i installed one of the .deb's from the site that ThrobbingBrain gave me and all is working now

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 05:02 AM
ok so now virtual box is all setup

how do i connect to the internet with XP in virtualbox

i figured i would need to plugin the ethernet cord because i dont have the wireless drivers installed in the virtualbox yet, but even with the ethernet cord i still cannot connect

how does that work anyway?

can i use my wireless card in the virtualbox at the same time as Ubuntu is using it?

ThrobbingBrain66
September 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Have you had any luck getting things to work?

VirtualBox sets up a NAT for your virtual machine and uses the host's abilities to connect to the Internet. Basically, whether you're using a wireless or wired connection in the host OS, your guest OS will show that you have wired ethernet connection. You shouldn't need to install any drivers; wireless or otherwise.

It seems odd to me that your Internet connection wasn't set up properly after your XP installation.

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM
yea i got the internet working

i did not realize that there were aditional settings that i should setup in the virtualbox manager

i was looking for settings within XP but it turns out that the Virtual box settings are what i needed

the only thing i have left to setup is the screen resolution

i posted my question regaurding the resolution on the virtualbox forums and they said i need to install virutalbox guest additions (whatever that is)

howefield
September 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
In your virtual machine window, go to the Devices menu, you'll find the option to install guest additions.

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
awesome.. thanks

it worked perfectly

now i have the right resolution

the only thing i wish were different is the way i cant change sides on my compiz cube unless i un-capture the mouse

but thats no big deal

howefield
September 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
..only thing i wish were different is the way i cant change sides on my compiz cube unless i un-capture the mouse..

err,..no, if you have installed guest additions you shouldn't have to capture/uncapture the mouse.

ThrobbingBrain66
September 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
err,..no, if you have installed guest additions you shouldn't have to capture/uncapture the mouse.

Unless he has Vitualbox in fullscreen mode. In that case, the keybindings to rotate the cube won't work. As a work around, I set up Compiz so that I can move my mouse to either edge of the screen and right-click to spin the "cube". I only use two sides...one of Ubuntu and the other for XP.

tjwoosta
September 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
yea i am using it in fullscreen mode because if i set it to seamless mode then AWN covers my windows start bar

i dont really like the way the cube rotates when you move the mouse to the edge so what i did as a workaround is disable the auto-capture mouse from the menu in virutalbox

that made it so i can hit the right-ctrl to uncapture the mouse, after uncapturing the mouse the key-bindings work for the cube (ctrl-alt right mouse button)