PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] website blocking

nutpants
September 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
website blocking by a government or institution is censorship
i would love to hear how to bypass such a censorship of the internet.
i dont know if my internet provider is blocking access to web sites
( i DO know that a lot of the OLD sites i have not been to in a while are gone)
( i do know that my old provider had access to sites my new one does not)

i dont know if my government is blocking access to web sites
( i DO know other governments are)

and i would love to know how to have free access to the internet
before some one decides that i should not even ask the question.

i dont know if this is the right place to post this.. but..

nutz

plan ahead
before someone else does

houbysoft.xf.cz
September 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Use a proxy.

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
Use a proxy.
+1
Or, Tor. Which basically is a onion routing proxy.

nutpants
September 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM
tor looks good thank you..

nutz

tarun.winlin
September 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Tor/Onion routers is an awesome concept. I remember it using on windows some time ago, but haven't tried it on linux. It slows your speed quite a bit though.

Cannaregio
September 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Proxies are good for serious anonymizing, but you usually don't need to be serious at all against minor minions from government agencies.

Before using a real proxy, try waaay more simple tricks like translating your target page through google translator from a given (whatever and anyway non corresponding) language into english.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=en#

It's de facto a (very quick) proxy: Google translator will access your target, NOT you.
You'll access google translator, which should be legit even in american southern schools.
Google translator will deliver your target WITHOUT translating anything, since that target is NOT in russian|klingon|serbocroatian... whatever you told it to translate from into english.

Google translator is quicker than most proxies and surely quicker than Tor.

If your local slavemasters are totalmorons, and really decide to block google translator as well, there are plenty other similar services to choose from, so don't worry anyway. There's noway anyone can ever block any part of internet.

Here for instance is how google (not you) access this very post having it translated from "german" into english:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fubuntuforums.org%2Fshowpo st.php%3Fp%3D5829176%26postcount%3D6&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en

Substitute ubuntuforums.org with whatever **** (or politically relevant) place you are looking for.

This still leaves all your tracks visible on the websand of course (but so does using proxies and even tor, unless you know how to chain proxies correctly), so if you are really under heavy censorship, always do such stuff using an open (or somebody's unsuspecting) roaming account, NOT your own. Remember that your provider, despite asserting your right to privacy, is ALWAYS ready to send all your personal data, emails and contacts to any half-authority that cares to ask :-)

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Remember that your provider, despite asserting your right to privacy, is ALWAYS ready to send all your personal data, emails and contacts to any half-authority that cares to ask :-)

And so is Google. So I wouldn't place any bets on using the translator as a safe proxy.

Cannaregio
September 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
And so is Google. So I wouldn't place any bets on using the translator as a safe proxy.

Eh? Uh? That's exactly what I said:

This using the google translator (inserted for Dr Small) still leaves all your tracks visible on the websand of course (but so does using proxies and even tor, unless you know how to chain proxies correctly), so if you are really under heavy censorship, always do such stuff using an open (or somebody's unsuspecting) roaming account, NOT your own.

There's NO safe proxy. Not even Tor. "Safe proxy" is an oxymoron.
Still, still if you use a DEDICATED laptop ONLY for downloading, a laptop that you bought cash where noone knows you, and if you only use that laptop only on other people's providers (there are plenty of people that still use totally open wifi connections, and/or believe firmly in WEP or WPA "security" :-) -just remember never to use that laptop onto your real provider, never- and if there will not be NO private data of yours whatsoever on that laptop, and if you have correctly chained your carefully chosen proxies and tors, and if you always rotate those "other people's providers", and maybe change town often... then you can/might have some (weak) form of quasi-anonymity.

But this is not required here. If you -as the OP- just have to bypass a little amount of puritan/moronic school/administrative censorship then google translator, as I pointed out, is a quick, powerful and probably perfect choice.

For God's sake, censors -all kind of censors- are mostly not even in the same intelligence legue as any half-wit web-savvy user. There's no need to bring heavy artillery against sparrow-brains.
Some schools still use image filtering software that after simple face recognition just blocks all images with too many pink pixels shades, the idiots, not even realizing that such an approach doesn't work with -say- african performers.
Google -like anyone else- not only happily sells and gives your data to anyone that asks or pay for them (why did you think that "free" email providers exist?), but also censors a lot of searches itself -very often to protect patents and copyrights for instance.
Yet most of the time you can bypass that kind of censorship just adding some -garbage string to the search or by redoing the same search using the same terms in any non-english language.

The point -as usual- is to reverse the commercial web and take advantage of those that would like to take advantage of you.