PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 64bit ubuntu

mac9416
September 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi ya'll!

I currently have a 32bit installation and don't want to reformat/reinstall. Can I make it 64bit any other way?

Thanks

doorknob60
September 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
No. Sorry. You just can't.

mac9416
September 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Does it really make that much of a speed difference?

graben3
September 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM
Not that much for general use...

I can't see that much difference...

Video editing/encoding/conversion will be faster
Compression will be faster
large scale operations involving maths, multimedia, sound or video in general will benefit from that...

For all other things... not much difference.

overdrank
September 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Does it really make that much of a speed difference?

Hi and if did for me on my systems. :)

mac9416
September 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hey, guys, I'm back.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but, seriously, it's all software! Can't I rebuild the kernel (Heaven help me), reinstall some package, or SOMETHING? I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman but even I know that this can't require a reformat/reinstall. It's SOFTWARE.
I don't mean to insult you guys (the advice and information is very much appreciated) but I decided a while back that I didn't want to do one more R&R. On the other hand, I don't want to give up any performance. Please help!

Thanks a lot! :)

mac9416
September 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Bump

howefield
September 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
You have already been given the answer, you can't, and no amount of beating the dead horse will change that.

Even if you could recompile the kernel magically into 64 bit, all your packages would still be 32 bit, you would really want to use 64 bit apps where possible on a 64 bit operating system.

Seriously, if it could be been done, someone would have dived in to tell you how.

other guy
September 28th, 2008, 02:24 AM
It is simple to leave the /home partition intact. Then just reinstall the rest. It is faster than redoing everything and much simpler in the long run.

mac9416
September 28th, 2008, 02:39 AM
OK, thanks guys. The horse is REALLY REALLY dead I suppose.:p
Sorry to bother.

other guy
September 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Your honestly asking a good question. Unfortunately, there is no viable answer to your specific question.

By redoing it with a proper reinstall. You can keep all your settings intact and application preferences. In fact, you will have much less debug troubles trying to redo everything to 64bit from 32.

If your on a reasonably fast connection. You can be back up in running a 64bit OS in about an hour or so. It would take days to attempt to recompile everything.