View Full Version : [ubuntu] embarassed this is so basic

September 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

So sorry for such a basic question but I am a total newbie - trying to install PIdgin to use instead of Yahoo Messenger (in Windows). Could anyone give me some pointers? I've downloaded the files to the archive folder and I think extracted the files but I haven't installed a program in Linux yet - thought it would just be a double click but seemingly not.

Thanks in anticipation,

September 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
What operating system are you trying to insall pidgin in?

September 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
If you're using Ubuntu, Pidgin is installed by default. If for some reason it is not, type

sudo apt-get install pidgin

Type your password when prompted, and Pidgin will be downloaded and installed.

If you're using Windows, I'm confused as to why you're posting here.

September 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
You'll want to install most software from your package manager. You didn't state what version of Ubuntu you're running, so here's two graphical ways:

1. If you have KDE then you'd use Adept.
2. If you have Gnome then you'd use Synaptic.

From there you do a search for Pidgin, and it should install properly.

Of course you could always do what Mornedhel suggested from the terminal, that will work too.

September 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks all so much. Even more embarassed to find pidgin is installed anyway :oops:

September 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
It is advised to use a descriptive topic title; that means use a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have notices, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

Just imagine what these forums would look like if everybody would just post "Help" or "Noob here". What do you think how many people will still look at such threads?

Furthermore, for unrelated questions it's also adviced to open a seperate thread for each one, so that each problem can be addressed (and eventually marked as solved) individually.