PDA

View Full Version : [other] Random computer hanging

crazycaveman
September 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
My computer has been behaving strange lately. A couple of months ago, my PSU died, as my computer failed to give any response to me pushing the power button. I just got that replaced with a PSU with similar specs. Now, my computer starts up fine, but it hangs at random points. Whenever it attempts to load an OS, be it XP, Linux, or a LiveCD, it hangs; maybe immediately as the OS starts to load, maybe it will wait until I've gotten logged in, but it's almost inevitable that it will hang (there was one time I got through an entire session in XP without it hanging, but not before or since).

That's not all though. I have been able to boot into Hiren's to run tests and not had problem with it hanging once. Also, I was able to boot into the XP install disc and run some of the "tools" on there without a problem. I have an idea of what the problem is, but I was wondering if I could get some help and ideas from y'all, too.

My setup is an MSI K8N-Neo4 nForce4 mb, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz processor, 2GB OCZ RAM, 2 DVD-RW drives, 2 SATA 3 GB/s HDDs, XFX NVidia 8600 GPU and a 500W PSU. Any help would be appreciated.