PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help connecting a Creative Zen Mozaic 4GB

Dakan
September 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Folks

I looking for some help to connect my MP3 player. I have installed Gnomad2 and Amarok. But neither will connect to the player.

Wikipedia say the Mozaic was only released in Aug 2008 so maybe there is no Ubuntu support for it yet. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Any way when I type in sudo mtp-detect it recognizes that it is a Creative Zen Mosaic

Device info:
Manufacturer: Creative Technology Ltd
Model: Creative ZEN Mozaic
Device version: 1.03.01_1.03.04

But other than that I can't get anywhere with it.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dakan

mattze
September 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
you can try running gnomad2 with root privileges.
gksu gnomad2

Dakan
September 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Brilliant!
Thanks a lot mattze, that worked straight away.

U :guitar:

Lomz
October 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I try to use gnomad2, using it with gksu, but I dont seem to get it to transfer the files onto the Mosaic, anything spesific I should try?

RaQua
October 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks!!! The solution of just running gnomad2 as a root worked!

But why is that? i mean your main account belongs to the root group right?Sorry for the silly question but i am rather new to linux.

salvatordarling
November 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi. I have the same player, but it's a 2GB. I'm having MAJOR problems connecting it at all. I've tried the sudo mtp-detect command and it says 'command not found'.
I've also tried running gnomad 2 but nothing happens. It doesn't recognise that the player is plugged in.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, but I don't know an awful lot about coding and commands etc...
If anyone could help, that would be great.

Karma_Police
November 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
You can access it with amarok.

In the amarok options go to the Media Devices section and select add new device. Choose MTP Media Device as a plugin, and give it any name you want.

Then, in the devices section of amorak connect to the device and you should see the files inside it.

@salvatordarling, You need to install the mtp tools. Open synaptic, search for "mtp-tools" and install that.

BeBoBli
November 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
This was working great for me yesterday, but this morning the gnomad 2 program crashed on me and in the process caused my mp3 player to become frozen and I can't turn it off. The terminal message says my device is null.

Karma_Police
November 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hi BeBoBli,

Mine has a small reset button on its left side. Just press it until it turns off.

BeBoBli
December 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah,sorry. I figured that out very soon after I posted. Only bad part is that I had to reload some of the files back onto it.

cupevampe
December 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
WHat I would like to understand is which mp3 player actually works with no hassle with Linux and Amarok or Rythmbox... I have to buy a new mp3 player, i've always used iPods and Macs but now I use Linux and I'd like something that works :) any suggestion is mOST welcome.

slymi2005
December 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
My sister's sony walkman nwz-s615f, the older one not the newest ones, works on ubuntu, it is just drag and drop through the file browser. Have not tried it using amarok but I'm sure it would work fine.

KaiTheory
December 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Firstly make sure you have libnjb5. Open a terminal as root (or use sudo) and type apt-get install libnjb5 gnomad2. This will install gnomad2 and the library files for Creative mp3 players. Once you plug in the device it should pick it up right away. If you're using Amarok then you'll need to configure a new MTP device (if your Zen handles video).

KaiTheory
December 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Not sure what you mean by "no hassle." Imagine if media players didn't come with a proprietary upload software package via cd like those designed for windoze.

ok67
December 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
As long as root is running gnomad2 (sudo gnomad2) it works OK. But as a regular user I am not able to connect to the ZEN Mozaic (8GB). I assume that some rights needs to be set somewhere, anyone knows what to change to be able to access the Mozaic as a regular user?

Psychopump
April 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
you can try running gnomad2 with root privileges.
gksu gnomad2

Great advice! Worked for me too!
Just remember to edit the Gnomad2 entry in the menu.

azrockytop
April 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I was reading all these posts, trying to figure out how to connect with my zen nano V and tried every trick listed here and more. . . . and then finally figured out you have to unmount from the device before gnomad2 or most any other music player will find it. I hope this helps someone!!!

Cheers

juicelubes
August 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Right you will all have to forgive me for being thick but this is driving me chuffin mad! My daughter got given one of these creative zen mosaic 4gb for xmas and I just cannot get it to work. I have installed Amorak 2 and can't find a Media Devices section at all. I have downloaded "MTP Tools" all to no avail.
I also have Gnomad2 but dont know anything about sudo commands or what Im meant to be doing. Can someone point me in the right direction to an easy to follow (for an idiot) guide as to how I set this ruddy device up! Sorry and Thanks:confused:

juicelubes
August 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
OK sussed how to open terminal and typed in sudo command. Gnomad2 now see's the player and I can import and export music. However Gnomad2 see's avi files on the player but not on the cpu, which means i can't transfer films on to it. What am I doing wrong?
Ireally love ubuntu I really hate Creative zen products. Any tec manufacturer in the modern age who still only rigs their players up for windows doesn't deserve to sell any!

tylersontag
October 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
i have libmtp8 installed but i get a 'no jukebox found" error when i open up gnomad2 as sudo or not, device mounted or not. same with another app i found 'kzenexplorer'

i tried reinstalling libnjb... not having much luck.

MTP-Tool's mtp-detect does not see any device, though it is plugged in and will mount.

theinnercityhippy
December 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi all

The problem here is that the Creative Zen Mosaic is fairly new and the library that is required to use it - libnjb5 - is not very actively maintained anymore from what I can gather. The solution to this is fairly simple and requires the editing of one file as root.

In brief, the problem lies with the system that Ubuntu uses to mount USB devices which is called UDEV. This system gets a uniquely identifying serial number from the device when it is plugged in and matches it with a set of rules in the folder /etc/udev/rules.d/

Since this is quite a new player, a rule for it doen't exist and so the system doesn't know what to do with it, hence the only way that it can be mounted is as the root user which is a really bad idea and causes a security risk to you.

The solution is as follows. First of all we need to to open a terminal by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Now we need to check out what the serial number of the device is. This is easily done by typing the following into the terminal and pressing enter (with the audio player plugged in:

lsusb

This gave me the following, remember we are looking for the Creative Zen player:

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 041e:4161 Creative Technology, Ltd

Make a note of the two numbers seperated by the colon, ie in this case 041e:4161 as we will need these in a moment.

Now we need to edit the UDEV rule that will allow this player to be mounted by myself. The file can be edited by typing the following into the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libnjb.rules

You will be prompted for your password since you must have root permissions to edit this file.

Now you need to add the following two lines to the bottom of the list, just above where it says LABEL="libnjb_rules_end"
. Note that the output from lsusb gave me the numbers 041e:4161 where 041e is the idVendor and 4161 is the idProduct that is in the snippet below. If your numbers were any different to these, adjust the next line accordingly (these numbers occasionally change with new models, so this should work with future models as well).

Add the following line:

# Creative Zen Mosaic
SYSFS{idVendor}=="041e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4161", MODE="660", GROUP="audio"

(the # symbol in front of the first line is important as it tells ubuntu to ignore that line - it is there so you can easily see what it refers to)

Save the file when you have done this which should drop you back to your terminal window. Finally, you need to enter the following into the terminal once only:

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

Now, when you plug the player in and start gnomad2 it should be recognised and you will be able to transfer files back and forth.

I've tried emailing the developer to get this fix added to the package so hopefully it will appear in updated versions soon. Note also that udev is restarted every time you boot your computer so it should work fine from now on without any further command-line-fu.

Hope this is helpful, best wishes,

JimDog

SinglespeedJarv
January 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Gnomad2 and libnjb5 installed, checked through files and found that "45-libnjb5.rules" doesn't contain the code for my MP3 player. So I tried to carry out the following:

Now we need to edit the UDEV rule that will allow this player to be mounted by myself. The file can be edited by typing the following into the terminal:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libnjb.rules
You will be prompted for your password since you must have root permissions to edit this file.However, the "45-libnjb5.rules" file isn't located under /etc/udev, just under file system/udev. But when I run the above code without the /etc I get the message: "no such file or directory"

heroes
February 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
with Gnomad2 installed, it should be fairly easy to get zen mozaic to connect to linux. or the problem could be the zen mozaic itself. try to reset it and select the cleanup option. then try to connect it again

dragonlemur
February 7th, 2011, 02:42 AM
im having the same issue i have a zen 4 gb moziac lx and i cant get in to work. im using gnomad2 and i tried amorak but still nothing and my system is ubuntu 8.04 i think im not sure but i really need help im new to linux

twoflatfish
February 17th, 2011, 02:57 AM
with Gnomad2 installed, it should be fairly easy to get zen mozaic to connect to linux. or the problem could be the zen mozaic itself. try to reset it and select the cleanup option. then try to connect it again

I have been using my Zen (Mozaic) with Nautilus file manager which will recognise and mount the Zen. You can 'drag and drop' to add items and delete items. 'Movie Player' will play the sound files if your Zen is usb attached. It's not perfect because there are other file systems on the Zen that are specific to the "Creative" system that Ubuntu does not recognise but I basically just use the MP3 sound format and don't need the missing files which are administration issues any way.
SJF

twoflatfish
February 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I have been using my Zen (Mozaic) with Nautilus file manager which will recognise and mount the Zen. You can 'drag and drop' to add items and delete items. 'Movie Player' will play the sound files if your Zen is usb attached. It's not perfect because there are other file systems on the Zen that are specific to the "Creative" system that Ubuntu does not recognise but I basically just use the MP3 sound format and don't need the missing files which are administration issues any way.
SJF

I should have added that I am running Ubuntu 10.10

A_M_S
February 18th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm using my Zen Mozaic 8GB with Rhythmbox (whith 10.04) without problems after enabling the option "Use crossfading backend" in the
Edit->preferences->playback window.

I think this is a bug that is posted somewhere in the internet.
(can't remember where :( )

Waltr
July 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=
However, the "45-libnjb5.rules" file isn't located under /etc/udev, just under file system/udev. But when I run the above code without the /etc I get the message: "no such file or directory"[/QUOTE]

the "45-libnjb5.rules" didn't exist at all on my disks. When i entered the line code to edit it my computer was very helpful with creating it as an empty file.

Maybe this is alo why Gnomad2 doesn't run properly??????
When on various moments it just closes.

In Amamrok I can not find any devices as stated before, my amarok seems to be only a mp3-player. Is there any onter instalation????????

Rythmbox could show that my mozaik was there, even some information on its hardware, but no way it will conect. :(

Anyone know a solution on any of these ad facts??