PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot from desktop AMD64 live CD

foxy123
September 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I tried it with Alpha 5 and then with Alpha 6 with the same result. In both case I am stuck on 'Starting powernowd...' 386 version boots fine.

deruberhanyok
October 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM
foxy-

I just tried booting a system with the 64-bit live CD of the release candidate and it stopped booting on the same line.

Anyone know if the "powernowd" is the cause or is the problem somewhere else maybe?

I'm running an Athlon X2 on an M3A79-T Deluxe with 8GB of RAM and a Radeon 4850, if that matters.

daverab
October 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm having similar issues. It'll get to the first menu, but after that I get a string of lines that include vague things like "panic+0bx4/0x171" and ends with end trace. Seems like the kernel is taking a dump.

I've also tried the latest build cd (10/24) with the same problem. If I could remember the no acpi and other debug lines I'd try those options. I'm trying to look them up now.

And yes, I know I can use 64 bit, I'm on Vista 64bit right now.

More info:

Using the Gigabyte S3 board (solid caps) with the AMD 770 SB600 combo. Nvidia 7600GT card

I have been able to run i386 no problem (not an install though, upgraded from Hardy...redid partitions because of Vista 64-bit purchase).

deruberhanyok
October 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I just happened to connect a hard drive from another system that has the Intrepid beta (32-bit) on it. That works fine... so I'm feeling certain that the issue is specific to the 64-bit version.

Kevbert
October 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
This seems to be a common problem, just go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=powernowd&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target= and you'll see that a large number of bugs have been filed. Bug 267198 seems to match what all of you are saying. If you all add a comment to that maybe someone will be prompted into looking into it.

foxy123
October 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
It is not just that. I installed the alpha using the alternative CD and then removed powernowd. I think the problem is with cpu frequency scaling but it looks like now one knows what it is. You can also add noapic and acpi=off in your boot options.

deruberhanyok
October 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Foxy, what kind of processor do you have? I just noticed that both myself and daverab both have AMD chips... is yours also AMD?

I'm wondering if we can find some kind of common piece of hardware that might help to figure it out. Obviously the problem isn't happening for everyone, so for those of us who get this... what processor/motherboard do you have?

[edit] - is it the laptop in your specs? One of those last gen P4s that supported 64-bit? Or a different box?

foxy123
October 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Foxy, what kind of processor do you have? I just noticed that both myself and daverab both have AMD chips... is yours also AMD?

I'm wondering if we can find some kind of common piece of hardware that might help to figure it out. Obviously the problem isn't happening for everyone, so for those of us who get this... what processor/motherboard do you have?

[edit] - is it the laptop in your specs? One of those last gen P4s that supported 64-bit? Or a different box?

yes, it's laptop in my signature. My PC is AMD based:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Mobo: ECS K8 NVIDIA -Socket 939 (K51150) NFORCE4-A939 ATX

deruberhanyok
October 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hmm. It happens on both of them? Here I was thinking it might be related to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/111375

foxy123
October 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hmm. It happens on both of them? Here I was thinking it might be related to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/111375

no, no. The laptop is run on 32bit Xubuntu.

I am not sure about this bug, though it might be related. As I remember cpuinfo does not identify the kernel at all in my case.

deruberhanyok
October 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Ah, alright, sorry about the confusion there.

Is anyone else having this issue with an Athlon 64 or X2 system running 64-bit? Looks like the processor is the only thing that we have in common so far.