PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Single post Threads

Zero-g-
September 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
TL;DR Please clean op old information around here, it's hard for newbs to find the right instructions for anything.

I'm a new guy here at the forums so I'm giving my feedback from a first impression pov.

I have come across a great deal of frustration on the forums just trying to find things that are relevant to what I'm working on.
(Sound drivers atm)

About 90% of what I have found on any given problem is incorrect or ineffective because it is now out of date.
I realize many of the stickies are still handy to and extent; however, we need to cull the flock.
It's very difficult to fix problems when you are working with expired info.

I am requesting that the mods and admin search over those posts that are (say, more than a year old) and see that they are up to date. If the information no longer applies (<--screaming at all posts related to OSS, non v4) then it needs to be removed or relocated to an archive area that is not included in a general search.
Having this information out there is detrimental to the process of learning this OS. It confuses new people and sometimes the operations that are suggested actually screw up the system worse.
This wouldn't be a huge deal but the resources those old posts refer to often still exist and thus I spent several hours building video drivers from old sources and failing only to find out later that there is a nice neat little system to do it that involves only 3 commands really.
This scenario is even worse for sound, there are at least 3 sets of instructions for installing either alsa or oss and it's really hard to guess at which one is right.
Thanks for reading this enormous post and considering my suggestion.

schauerlich
September 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
We already have a giant archive area. All of the posts in the active support areas are from the past 5 months. Searching through every thread in the Archive would take an incredible amount of time, even with all the staff members we have. Some statistics:

Forum Archive
(4674 Viewing) ( 555,976 Threads ) ( 3,031,696 Replies )

Are you volunteering to read 3 million replies, judge whether each of them is up to date, and then move them, one by one, from the archive to a "new" (old?) archive?

jpeddicord
September 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
We already have a giant archive area. All of the posts in the active support areas are from the past 5 months. Searching through every thread in the Archive would take an incredible amount of time, even with all the staff members we have. Some statistics:

Forum Archive
(4674 Viewing) ( 555,976 Threads ) ( 3,031,696 Replies )

Are you volunteering to read 3 million replies, judge whether each of them is up to date, and then move them, one by one, from the archive to a "new" (old?) archive?

Amen to that. We have a massive amount of posts, and going through each and every one of them for accuracy would take years. If you are uncertain about directions provided in an outdated thread, feel free to post a new thread and ask about it.

Joeb454
September 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
We could get LaRoza to do it, none of the other staff have enough processing power.......or RAM

Canis familiaris
September 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
We could get LaRoza to do it, none of the other staff have enough processing power.......or RAM

You can sniff out the useful threads too...

lukjad007
September 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Please clean op old information around here, it's hard for newbs to find the right instructions for anything.
I once tried to download Ubuntuforums. Before I could finish I started to have some problems with a few links (probably restricted pages). But, it still was massive. I don't ever venture there, though I do still have it. If you want me to send you a copy so that you can look through it, send me a dollar for the DVD and postage. If you want it printed out, we can discuss it.

jpeddicord
September 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I once tried to download Ubuntuforums. Before I could finish I started to have some problems with a few links (probably restricted pages). But, it still was massive. I don't ever venture there, though I do still have it. If you want me to send you a copy so that you can look through it, send me a dollar for the DVD and postage. If you want it printed out, we can discuss it.

You sir are crazy. :-P

LaRoza
September 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Yeah, right. The last thing this forum needs is me actually, for once hunting and eliminating threads.

Canis familiaris
September 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
You sir are crazy. :-P

+1
:p

lukjad007
September 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I, sir, am a pyrate. The buccaneers are the crazy ones. ARRR!

jpeddicord
September 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I, sir, am a pyrate. The buccaneers are the crazy ones. ARRR!

Pirate day was yesterday. :(

:)

lukjad007
September 21st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Pyrate day be ev'ry day, ye landlubber!

bingoUV
September 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I am still using Warty Warthog, you insensitive clod :)

The posts are irrelevant to you, because, maybe you use a later release of Ubuntu than they were posted with in mind. You could take them into consideration based on the date of posting. Suppose you are using Hardy Heron, which was released in April 2008. Intrepid Ibex is likely to get released in October 2008. So posts from March 2008 to December 2008 are likely to be relevant to you.

It will be good if we tell which Ubuntu release we are discussing when posting a question/problem. Same applies if the post is a "HowTo" post.

Or, is the problem graver than this? Do Hardy Heron HowTos do not apply to Hardy Heron even?

Joeb454
September 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
It will be good if we tell which Ubuntu release we are discussing when posting a question/problem. Same applies if the post is a "HowTo" post.

It used to display on the profile information on the left

bingoUV
September 21st, 2008, 06:20 PM
It used to display on the profile information on the left

It doesn't display now, but it can be viewed in the user's profile. But no, that won't do.

This information might change after you made the post. Your profile says II, but if you made a post 2 years ago when you didn't even know that intrepid and ibex are words (just pretend), that post might be about WW and this is not helpful at all. When asking a question, or sometimes when answering them, adding the Ubuntu version should be encouraged.

OT: This is one of the reasons I suggest commands instead of graphical solutions (only when the questioner seems up to command line) because such solutions last longer and apply across distributions. So random googlers might stumble on it and help themselves.