PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installing build-essentials

getitright
September 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I have a hole in my bucket situation. Having installed Ubuntu on an old laptop that needs Ndiswrapper and Windows driver for the wireless card to be installed, I am told that installation of build-essentials is a prerequisite. Trying to install build-essentials I am informed that on line access is required, however this needs the wireless card to be operational!

Is there an alternative way of installing build-essentials?

quinnten83
September 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
you don't have a wired port on your router?
How are you posting the forum now?

bhadotia
September 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Build essential comes with the ubuntu cd. Well you will require build essential if you want to install ndiswrapper. And actually build-essential is a meta package the actually installs a collection of compliers and related packages as dependencies.

And to install it from the CD go to System>Administration>Software Sources and check the box next to ubuntu cd in the first tab. Close the window and reload.

Then open the terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste thew following command:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then you can download the Ndisgtk and ndiswrapper packages (along with dependencies) from a computer having the net connection and manually install it.

Shazaam
September 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
build-essential
no S on the end. :)

bhadotia
September 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM
build-essential
no S on the end. :)
Oh yeah :popcorn:

getitright
September 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Bhadotia. Tried your solution everything went well until I tried to install build-essential. Following a message informing me of the size of the installation I was asked if I wished to proceed to which I entered Y.

I then got the following in the Terminal window:

"Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
'Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron -Release i386 (20080423)
in the drive '/cd rom/' and press enter"

Inserted the disc and pressed enter and the same request appeared, as it did each time enter was pressed.

Any thoughts?

anewguy
September 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
If all you are doing is getting your wireless to work, you don't need build-essential, as you don't need to compile anything.

Boot up your Linux, put in the LiveCD you installed from, and then open the CD under the "places" menu. Navigate to /pool/main/n/ndiswrapper and install the 2 packages listed simply by double-clicking on each.

Once installed, you can then start using ndiswrapper to install your Windows XP driver for your wireless.

Also, you may want to download/transfer to your Linux box the ndisgtk package since it is a gui'd interface to ndiswrapper and may make things easier for you.

Dave :)

getitright
September 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
anewguy great advice, have now installed ndiswrapper. What part does ndis gtk play in the installation of the windows driver?

anewguy
September 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
anewguy great advice, have now installed ndiswrapper. What part does ndis gtk play in the installation of the windows driver?

ndisgtk is a gui'd front-end to ndiswrapper. It will allow you to do everything in a window rather than using the command line to work with ndiswrapper.

getitright
September 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
anewguy, thanks. I followed your advice and installed the Windows driver using ndisgtk. Everything appeared to go OK. Using command line

'ndiswrapper -l'

got back the information that the Driver had been installed OK. I the proceeded to load the module using command lines:

'sudo depmode -a

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper'

and got the display 'FATAL. Module ndiswrapper not found'

I know that this is straying away from my original query but have you any advice before I instigate a new thread?

anewguy
September 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Not sure why it would say that unless it was a miss spelling. If the ndiswrapper command works and shows the driver, I would edit the /etc/modules file and add a new line that says ndiswrapper to it, then save, exit, and reboot. Then check under network manager and see if your wireless networks are being detected.

getitright
September 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
anewguy. I have looked in Places and cannot see a modules folder in /etc..

bhadotia
September 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
anewguy. I have looked in Places and cannot see a modules folder in /etc..
It is not a folder its a file.

You can use the 'lsmod' command to find out which modules are loaded at present in your computer.

Which how-to are you following and what Wi-fi card do you have? This information might be helpful in solving the problem.

Abhishek.

getitright
September 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
anewguy. Omitted to say that I had added ndiswrapper to /etc/modules in the Terminal. Still no joy.

bhadotia
September 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Not sure why it would say that unless it was a miss spelling. If the ndiswrapper command works and shows the driver, I would edit the /etc/modules file and add a new line that says ndiswrapper to it, then save, exit, and reboot. Then check under network manager and see if your wireless networks are being detected.

anewguy. Omitted to say that I had added ndiswrapper to /etc/modules in the Terminal. Still no joy.

Have you tried restarting the computer?

It is not a folder its a file.

You can use the 'lsmod' command to find out which modules are loaded at present in your computer.

Which how-to are you following and what Wi-fi card do you have? This information might be helpful in solving the problem.

Abhishek.

What is your NIC (post output of lshw -C network)and which how to (please post the link) are you following?