PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does loading a persistent version of Ubuntu on usb make it wear out much faster?

Watchtow3r
September 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I've heard that due to the massive amounts of writes and rewrites when installing Ubuntu on a flash drive, it will die quicker. I'm sure this is true, but I'm wondering how much so. If the USB lasts 4 or 5 years then it's served it's purpose. If it means that it'll only last 1 year, then yeah, that could be a problem.

Anyways, it seems like it would last just as long as any of those new solid state drives in a laptop.

OutOfReach
September 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
USB's weren't meant for storing an entire OS on there, they were made to store important information on the fly frequently. Since OS's do a lot of reading/writing yes, the USB will wear out faster, by how much? I'm not sure exactly.

egalvan
September 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM
USB's weren't meant for storing an entire OS on there, they were made to store important information on the fly frequently. Since OS's do a lot of reading/writing yes, the USB will wear out faster, by how much? I'm not sure exactly.

That said, there ARE distros that have been tweaked to run off USB.
They use a variety of settings to minimize disk I/O.

But some writes are inevitable.

Puppy Linux is one. DSL is another

Puppy is my favorite.
Stinkin' fast!

(And at $15-$20 for the drive, is it really that bad if it 'only' lasts a year? Fifty cents a week to carry Linux in your pocket?
Unless you can't get them that cheap...and I've been there.)

egalvan
September 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Anyways, it seems like it would last just as long as any of those new solid state drives in a laptop.

Nope, different type of memory chips. Different controller logic.
Much higher prices. :)