PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 32bit Ubuntu on a 64bit machine

WhyCantEveryOSBePerfect
September 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hi there! I'm new to Linux, but I thought I knew what I was doing when I decided to make a partition and intall it. I need a 32 bit OS to connect to my school's wireless client, and decided, hey, what a great time to get linux/ubuntu. So with my 64-bit Vista I created an unallocated space of 20.1GB on my hard drive, downloaded the .iso of ubunto (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso), burned the image to the cd and rebooted to the cd. When I get to the partition section (step 4 of 7 I think) there are two options, Guided and Manual. My computer uses RAID0 so it has 2 disks, and when I do "guided" I can only pick one of them. When I get to step 7 of 7 I haven't seen any of the other two partitions or the 20GB unallocated space. (the other partitions are 350GB or so with Vista 64 bit and a 13GB backup section, both NTFS I believe). On step 7 of 7 it says if I continue I will reformat 1 of the two 200GB disks, and I don't want that to happen. I didn't see an option to use the unallocated space. Help?

peakshysteria
September 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Have you seen this howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron

Kilz
September 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I need a 32 bit OS to connect to my school's wireless client,

Are you sure? That would depend on the wireless hardware you have.
If you are saying you need some specific 32bit application, 32bit applications can be setup to run in the 64bit os.

peakshysteria
September 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I would check with the technical staff at your school. As Kilz point out this sounds weird. You should be able to run a 64 bit Ubuntu without a problem. Your school can advice you about this.

WhyCantEveryOSBePerfect
September 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Our school's VPN client won't install on a 64bit OS, I've tried. Also, I'm not trying to install a 64 bit version of Ubunutu, I'm trying to install a 32 bit version.

Kilz
September 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM
Our school's VPN client won't install on a 64bit OS, I've tried. Also, I'm not trying to install a 64 bit version of Ubunutu, I'm trying to install a 32 bit version.

You might want to look at the section you have posted the question in.
You tried to install the VPN? Can you give us a link to the post where you asked for help when it didnt work?

Sef
September 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Moved to absolute beginners.

WhyCantEveryOSBePerfect
September 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM
Okay well, forget all about the VPN thing. It's irrelevant to the help I need from you guys (since I want to install this thing anyway now just so I know how). What I really need help with is this: I have 20GB unallocated space on my hard drive. I have 2 disks in my drive since it uses a RAID0 configuration. How does this affect the partitions, and how can I install ubuntu in the unallocated space? I must have done something wrong because I did not see the unallocated space anywhere. I know I'm a windows-using noob (hehe you moved this thread to "absolute beginners"), but when I install windows there's a thing on the blue screen that says unallocated space that I didn't see when using the ubuntu partitioner. I don't want to mess up my drive, so any help is appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Edit: Oh and the reason I originally posted in the x64 section was because I have a 64 bit version of Vista running on my computer already, and wondered if that had anything to do with my not being able to install a 32 bit ubuntu.