PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get the Alt-tab effect?

Alfx
September 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I have unbuntu hardy.

I saw a video on youtube where when the person was alt+tabbing(I think)
All the windows showed on screen(but in smaller version), then he could just click on one, that window took back its place and all the others went back minimized.

How do I get this??

Thanks

RequinB4
September 20th, 2008, 05:32 AM
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

It may also be helpful(but definitely optional) to install:

sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

Then go to system - preferences - advanced desktop effects settings and change stuff to your heart's content

fr.theo
September 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM
hello,

you need to go to your "Applications" menu then to "add/Remove" and search for "compiz" in the search field, then you should get a short list of programs.

Select the program called "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" also known as CCSM and then apply changes.

then go to "system" menu then "preferences" then "Advanced desktop effects settings".

once you are there you can have several options one is the cube "a 3d view of your windows session, window previews "a real time compact view of running apps, Switchers " simply switching from one app to the other, Expo "allows you to view all running windows sessions at one time .

which of these do you want remember you video card must be powerful to sustain all of them so chose according to your system capability.

fr.theo
September 20th, 2008, 05:54 AM
if you just want to switch using alt tab, then in the "advance desktop effects" select the following

under the title Window Mnagement you will see an option called "ring switcher" and "Shift Swithcher" you can enable both or just one of them.

using the "alt" "windows key" and the "tab" You get a vista like effect panning between applications.

if you want to preview the running applications on your task bar then you will need to do the following.

in the "advance desktop effects" look for the "Extras" section and enable the "Windows Previews" now hover over the task bar and you should see a mini preview of running application (some apps wont work)

to get a clearer view you can go back to the "advance desktop effects" "extras" and click directly on the "windows previews" and enable the "Generate Mipmaps" option.

good luck.