PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions I would like answered (thinkpad a30)

vip3r87
September 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hey guys, just got a hold of a laptop, ThinkPad a30; P3 993mhz, 512mb ram, 20gb hdd. all for the low price of $60.00!

Anyways, last week I was wondering as to my alternatives to windows (as xp and vista suck lol), and I somehow remember about ubuntu,kubuntu, and just recently xubuntu. What is best for me? I want something that looks nice and stylish (leaning towards ubuntu as I like the layout), and works good for microsoft word (or openoffice, as that seems to be what comes with it)

Anyways, my main concern is getting all the laptop specific stuff back onto the system after I format + install ubuntu. Does it automatically detect the trackpoint? what about the keyboard? Battery life indicator? If not where would I go about getting all of these nice little drivers/apps

what about hibernate funtions ect?

thank you guys so much and cant wait to have ubuntu!

cariboo
September 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Any of the three Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xbuntu will work on that laptop. It is older so all of the hardware should be well supported.

Jim

lswb
September 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Nice buy on that laptop. I've installed ubuntu on a few different laptops, most things IME "just work" and the remaining problems can be solved with a google search. You have nothing but time to lose by trying!

vip3r87
September 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
i might have something to lose as i dont have the backup/restore cd. but i will try it

thanks a lot guys!

*any tips?

now the question is....which one?!

lswb
September 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
i might have something to lose as i dont have the backup/restore cd. but i will try it

I guess you mean a Windows CD? Try to backup your windows installation before installing linux if you want to keep windows. You can get another laptop hard drive and an external USB adapter case for not much money from ebay. If you got a 40 or 80 GB say, you could clone the windows drive onto a partition on the newer larger drive, then swap the larger drive into the laptop and have plenty of room left to install ubuntu for dual booting.

vip3r87
September 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM
oh nevermind I got a windows xp cd. perfect! nevermind then

ubuntu or kubuntu hmmmm

vip3r87
September 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
installing kubuntu at the moment

will get back with results!

vip3r87
September 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
okay so it installed fine, but now my thinkpad volume control buttons do not do anything when pressed...I tried installing tpb_0.6.4-2.2_i386.deb, but it gets to 100% then says:
Failed to install package 'tpb_0.6.4-2.2_i386.deb'
errors were encountered while processing:
/media/disk/kubuntu/tpb_0.6.4-2.2_i386.deb

going to try to redownload it

redownloaded and tried a newer version, same error...will switch back to...dare I say it, winxp if I cant get this fixed

*trying ubuntu now...man the kubuntu install was a lot cleaner looking :P

lswb
September 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
google is your friend. Try searching for "linux volume control buttons" and in the first page of results you will see among others

http://www.thinkwiki.org

This site has LOTS of info about thinkpads and getting everything working with linux. You can also try searching this forum, I'm sure there are users who have already got A30s working. If you need more help start a new thread with appropriate title.

vip3r87
September 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
now I have an issue, I got all that stuff to work, so then i wanted to try compiz...well ever since i installed it, my video performance is horrible. Scrolling webpages isn't smooth, dragging windows around my desktop is jittery aswell...whats the issue?

i completely removed it following a tutorial i found on this site, but its still bad. It reminds me of in windowsXP when randomly my video card driver would uninstall....how do I reinstall it? Card is a AT Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP