PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] two hard drives one windows one kubuntu

rhawnie
September 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM
:confused: Hi,

I am new to linux and I am having a problem I don't know if it is the set up, the installation, or because of the 2 OS.

I have 2 hard drives set up in my tower one has XP, the other had kubuntu. Before I installed kubuntu both hard drives were available for boot prioity now I can only set one of them at a time.

I was hoping to be able to choose which one I wanted on start up. Also when I restart or shut down in kubuntu the program shuts down, the screen goes black but the pc stays on.

Thanks

Fixman
September 20th, 2008, 01:52 AM
:confused: Hi,

I am new to linux and I am having a problem I don't know if it is the set up, the installation, or because of the 2 OS.

I have 2 hard drives set up in my tower one has XP, the other had kubuntu. Before I installed kubuntu both hard drives were available for boot prioity now I can only set one of them at a time.

I was hoping to be able to choose which one I wanted on start up. Also when I restart or shut down in kubuntu the program shuts down, the screen goes black but the pc stays on.

Thanks

Here (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=5)

rhawnie
September 20th, 2008, 04:41 AM
thanks

Would you mind directing me to a few good sites for beginner's? It would be much appreciated. :-D

kansasnoob
September 20th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you get the grub screen when you start up? I mean can you select which OS to boot at start up? Or do you have to change the BIOS?

rhawnie
September 20th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I get the grub screen only after I set it up to boot from the one hd with linux.

What about the shut down issue? Have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

kansasnoob
September 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I get the grub screen only after I set it up to boot from the one hd with linux.

What about the shut down issue? Have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

So, what you're saying is that you have to change boot sequence in BIOS?

I think you probably need to "map" your drives:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#Chainloading_Windows_using_map_commands

But I'm just too tired to get into the whole thing right now.

Hopefully someone else can help you with this.