PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Matlab

gilmour-page
September 20th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I'm going to install Matlab on my laptop, and I was wondering whether to do it in Vista or Ubuntu. I've heard that running it in Ubuntu would be faster, but installed Ubuntu as a program with Vista using 8.04. Which system would be best??? Thanks for any replies.

Whiffle
September 20th, 2008, 01:39 AM
As far as I'm concerned they're about the same. (used on linux and XP on the same machine, didn't see much difference)

gilmour-page
September 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah but doesn't vista perform slower than xp by quite a bit and require more ram? or maybe it would be the same sense I'm running it through vista?

Nepherte
September 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I experience the same speed on linux as on xp. I haven't tried it on vista yet. Just use it on the operating system you prefer (for example, the one you work most with).

waspbr
September 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
it depends, normally vista is slightly slower than ubuntu depending on how many calculations u run you will notice a slight difference.

Another point is that most computers come with vista 32-bit installed while you can have a 64-bit system with ubuntu. Then the difference is very noticeable. what vista would require about 8-10 min to run, my ubuntu 64 would take about 3-4 min with dual cores. Once I had to do about 50 iterations of those calculations, you can do the math here.

my choice would be ubuntu