PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What's better for your computer: rebooting 3 or so times a day or letting it run?

w.g.hanna
September 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I have a problem using suspend/ hibernation. searching through the forums reveals such problems are not uncommon. the way i use my computer, i'm either going to have to (a) shut it down and boot it up two or three times a die, (b) let it get locked in hibernation and then have to hold the power button to shut it down and reboot it at least once a day, or (c) shut off the power setting and just let the thing run with a screen saver.

in terms of what's best for the life of the computer - or least bad - which is it? is there any that is particularly harmful?

RequinB4
September 20th, 2008, 12:19 AM
The one thing i wouldn't do is use the failed hibernate and manually reboot... That's a no no.

I'm not sure on the keep on vs boot, but assuming you're not waiting a while between boots, it would make more sense to me to leave it on if you could (assuming no high intensive programs running), just for your hard drives sake. Pretty much depends on how long you're leaving it off for.

I suggest using suspend if you can. It's perhaps the most efficient power-saver setting, especially on a medium-length time between "boots"

All of this is assuming the main issue is power saving -- Obviously the best course of action is to not have rapid "changes" in status, but sometimes power saving and the amount of time you actually use the computer outweighs.

w.g.hanna
September 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM
thanks requin - i have it set to suspend, but sometimes it gets stuck. it sticks becuase i use the computer on and off througout the day - and it gets stuck at least twice.

how bad is a boot for the hard drive? i'm thinking of just changing power settings to off, and then shutting it down at the end of the night. sound sustainable?

jhenager
September 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have to say thank you for bringing this up. My new system suspends (S3) quite nicely, and it brings the system right back up in seconds. My previous system didn't co-operate so well.
Your question is age old. There are arguments for and against shutting down vs leaving the system powered on, and both sides have valid points.
As for myself, I take the middle road and suspend - especially since my new system does it so well.

Thanks again!!!!

RequinB4
September 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
thanks requin - i have it set to suspend, but sometimes it gets stuck. it sticks becuase i use the computer on and off througout the day - and it gets stuck at least twice.

how bad is a boot for the hard drive? i'm thinking of just changing power settings to off, and then shutting it down at the end of the night. sound sustainable?

If suspend isn't working i'd suggest trying to fix it on a free weekend or something - it's very very useful. The only thing used in suspend mode is your RAM and a little bit of power.

How bad is it? It's hard for me to say because i've never looked at the numbers (read: don't listen to anything I say, i'm shooting in the wind from personal experience :P), but i'd say nothing really serious - you just asked the *best* option. Stuff like that depends on how much hard drive access you have while not booting etc.

What I do is shut down the comp when I go to bed and boot it up in the morning and keep it on all day when it's not being transported (laptop). Add a screensaver or something that goes to black after a few minutes and it'll be fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say that there is no "right" answer - it depends on your using habits and the programs you are running, as well as what exactly is the most important resource you're trying to save.

iansane
September 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
One argument for leaving it running is the spin up or what ever you call it when the drive starts up will eventually cause wear on the drive. That makes sense in a mechanical way of thinking I guess but I always shut mine down at night and then boot up in the morning. Then shut down to leave for school and boot up again when I get home so thats 2 start ups a day. I hope it doesn't burn out my drive. Although, It seems like the drive always spinning would cause enough friction to burn out too.