PDA

View Full Version : [other] PII 366MHz 64MB 2GB HD, distro suggestions?

Nikolai D.
September 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hi guys.

What would you advice to use on it? Maybe something not as light as DSL, and yet ok looking.

Any suggestions anyone?

Have fun.
Nikolai

eragon100
September 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
puppy linux :)

nickgaydos
September 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
puppy linux :)

I ditto that!

Nikolai D.
September 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi agane.

And thanks. I'll do it just as u advice.

Have a nice day!

Nikolai

reasoner
September 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Puppy Linux is a nice fast distribution. The only problem with it is that the last time I checked a year or two ago, it didn't seem to be kept updated with the latest security patches. It seemed to only be updated every six months or so when a new CD was released. I ended up going with OpenBSD on the old laptop I was trying to use and it was tolerable, but OpenBSD is a hassle to update as well since you have to check for updates and compile the binaries yourself. But then OpenBSD doesn't need updating very often. Xubuntu didn't do much better than Ubuntu on my low spec machines. You might try a server install of Ubuntu and then add something like JWM or fluxbox for a window manager, but I don't know if any Ubuntu will work.

I don't understand why Windows 95 could do everything I wanted with decent speed on a Pentium 166 with only 32Megs of RAM, but modern Linux seems to struggle with several times that.