PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Updates Icon

dartrod
September 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and have a question about the "updates icon" that sets up automatically on the Hardy Heron Desktop. If I click on the icon it tells me there are 234 updates available.

My question is, since I am running the latest release of Ubuntu and will likely upgrade to the next release when available are these updates necessary?

RSW

Sealbhach
September 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Some of them are probably security updates so you should install them.

If you click on the Menu

System/Administration/Software Sources

and click on the Updates tab, you can reduce them number of updates by limiting them to important security updates only.

oilchangeguy
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and have a question about the "updates icon" that sets up automatically on the Hardy Heron Desktop. If I click on the icon it tells me there are 234 updates available.

My question is, since I am running the latest release of Ubuntu and will likely upgrade to the next release when available are these updates necessary?

RSW

you need to go ahead and just install all of the updates. they don't take up that much room on the hard drive. and if you're using a highspeed internet connection, they don't take very long. even if you're going to upgrade to the next version there's nothing wrong with having your present install as current as possible.

Paqman
September 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
If you click on the Menu

System/Administration/Software Sources

and click on the Updates tab, you can reduce them number of updates by limiting them to important security updates only.

You can also set it to install these security updates automatically. Since you're obviously not in the habit of manually running the update manager i'd highly recommend doing this. Linux has a deserved reputation for security, but it really only counts if your system is up-to-date with security updates.

zvacet
September 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
If you want to upgrade to the next version your system has to be up-to-date.That doesn´t mean that you must have all repos open,but one you have must be up-to -date.You may uncheck proposed repo and backports if you want but I will leave all others.In short,install all updates.

dartrod
September 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
You can also set it to install these security updates automatically. Since you're obviously not in the habit of manually running the update manager i'd highly recommend doing this. Linux has a deserved reputation for security, but it really only counts if your system is up-to-date with security updates.
Thanx all, I did run the updates. I am new to Ubunto but NOT new to computing (I've had a PC for for over 25 years), I was just surprised that in spite of all the Linux hype, on a new install of the most recent release there was 283 updates!!
I built a new PC specifically to see if Linux was ready for the average user. It's getting there. (This is not my first go at Linux)

RSW

Mornedhel
September 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
I was just surprised that in spite of all the Linux hype, on a new install of the most recent release there was 283 updates!!

What's wrong with that ?

Those include updates for every piece of software installed on your machine. Also, Intrepid is almost out, so Hardy will not remain "the most recent release" for very long...

dartrod
September 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mormedhel, thnakyou for your ingormative response, that's what I was looking for.