PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] updating clamav

pranayama
September 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
sudo freshclam produces:

ClamAV update process started at Fri Sep 19 20:13:48 2008
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.92.1 Recommended version: 0.94
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
main.inc is up to date (version: 48, sigs: 399264, f-level: 35, builder: sven)
daily.inc is up to date (version: 8287, sigs: 29596, f-level: 35, builder: arnaud)
i.e. I do not have the latest version. Following advice on the clamav wiki, I tried sudo apt-get install clamav, and got:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
clamav is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
i.e. I do have the latest version, which must be wrong. Should I compile and install the latest version from source (not sure quite how) or is there an easier way?

roquefilipe
September 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
it seems that the clamav version in the repositories is 0.92 but the latest is 0.94 which will be in intrepid.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-updates/clamav

pranayama
September 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
OK, but what if I want to use 0.94 before Intrepid comes out? 0.94 must have better protection surely?

terry_gardener
September 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
you can download the .deb from the intrepid packages link.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/clamav

daveu2008
September 20th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I have the same issue. I like using the synaptic package manager to update software and would rather stick to that than use a deb package.

I was wondering if/when the repository would get updated?

bhadotia
September 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Actually you don't need clamav in ubuntu. But I also have it installed coz I dual boot with windoze.

You are good if you just have the latest signature updates.
Install the clamtk front end to clamav:

sudo apt-get install clamtk
Configure freshclam:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure clamav-freshclam
Then launch clamtk as root:
Press alt+f2 and in the run box :
gksu clamtk

In the clamtk window , click the help menu and then update signatures.

Hope that helps.:popcorn:

daveu2008
September 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have it running and updating thanks (the out of date version). I am a pretty new user (3 days). My question really is to do with updating the system. I got a little arrow saying about updates and I downloaded them the other day.

Will I get an update for this AV software at some point, how does the update process effect things?

Do the repositories get updated with latest versions from time to time?

kamitsukai
September 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have it running and updating thanks (the out of date version). I am a pretty new user (3 days). My question really is to do with updating the system. I got a little arrow saying about updates and I downloaded them the other day.

Will I get an update for this AV software at some point, how does the update process effect things?

Do the repositories get updated with latest versions from time to time?

I'm not sure about the av software but ubuntu stringently tests software before putting it into the general updates and major program updates are normally left until the new ubuntu release unless it, in some way compromises the security of ubuntu itself

sherts
September 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks got it working =D>

BrianV
April 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have added ClamAV using the Add/Remove Applications in Ubuntu 8.10 and am having similar difficulties: Following the suggested procedure, everything seemed to work up to launching clamtk, going to Help, then Update Signatures. This initiates a check, followed by a response "Your virus signatures are up to date", but clicking "Antivirus Information" displays:

Build: ClamAV 0.94.2
Signatures: 0
()
GUI Version: 3.11

Which seems to indicate there are no signatures to check.

Is this correct?

wubrgamer
April 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
OK, but what if I want to use 0.94 before Intrepid comes out? 0.94 must have better protection surely?

1) Your avatar is one freaky emoticon.

2) I doubt you'll have leaps and bounds of "better protection", I highly suggest just sticking with the ubuntu supported version for the moment. it's more important that you keep the VIRUS SIGNATURES updated rather than the client software.

BrianV
April 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
How do you know if signatures are up to date? Please see my earlier query: does a Help > Antivirus Information display of

Build: ClamAV 0.94.2

Signatures: 0
()

GUI Version 3.11

mean there are no signatures loaded?

BrianV
May 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have updated to Ubuntu 8.10 with the latest (Ubuntu) version of ClamAV. The Virus Scanner screen shows:

Antivirus engine 0.95.1
GUI version 4.08
Virus definitions not found
Last virus scan 09 May 2009
Last infected file Never

When I select Help > Update Signatures a window appears with two options selected: Check for antivirus signature updates, and Check for updates to the graphical interface. I deselect the second one, then click on Check for updates. A message appears "Update failed".

It seems I have never managed to load any virus definitions. I have followed all the suggestions in this thread. Are there any further suggestions to get ClamAV working?

Thanks, Brian

MrWES
May 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have updated to Ubuntu 8.10 with the latest (Ubuntu) version of ClamAV. The Virus Scanner screen shows:

Antivirus engine 0.95.1
GUI version 4.08
Virus definitions not found
Last virus scan 09 May 2009
Last infected file Never

When I select Help > Update Signatures a window appears with two options selected: Check for antivirus signature updates, and Check for updates to the graphical interface. I deselect the second one, then click on Check for updates. A message appears "Update failed".

It seems I have never managed to load any virus definitions. I have followed all the suggestions in this thread. Are there any further suggestions to get ClamAV working?

Thanks, Brian

Did you run:

sudo freshclam
from the terminal?

Bill

Sir Jasper
May 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hi,

Avast always performs significantly better than Clamav in independent tests but you can use any number of on-demand scanners.

You could download the DEBIAN version to your desktop and then click it to install. It should then be listed under accessories. The link is:
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

Avast does an on-demand scan much faster than Clamav except for those on dial-up the daily updates are full (not incremental although there MAY be a way around that on the Avast Linux Forum).

Avast does not have a right-click context menu scan as can Clamav.

Avira's Antivir shews a very slight detection improvement over Avast in recent independent tests and it can provide active protection but its installation is (at least to me) complex.

I am almost sure that both Clamav and Avast can also give active protection with the addition of Dazuko.

My regards

PS Clamav had a new Windows upgrade earlier this month so look out for a Linux upgrade.

MrWES
May 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
How do you know if signatures are up to date?

cat /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log | less

You should see something like this:

main.cvd is up to date (version: 50, sigs: 500667, f-level: 38, builder: sven)
daily.cld is up to date (version: 9349, sigs: 49144, f-level: 42, builder: mcichosz)

By default, freshclam is set to update 24 times a day.

Bill

BrianV
May 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thank you, MrWes.

Now how did you know that, to find the signature status in the log file? Is that published somewhere?

And what does the Virus Scanner Status mean:

Antivirus engine 0.95.1
GUI version 4.08
Virus definitions None found
Last virus scan 21 May 2009
Last infected file Never

and Scan

Scanning complet (0 signatures)
Files Scanned: 129 Viruses Found: 0 Ready

???

- still seems to indicate no signatures are being used?

Brian

MrWES
May 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you, MrWes.

Now how did you know that, to find the signature status in the log file? Is that published somewhere?

And what does the Virus Scanner Status mean:

Antivirus engine 0.95.1
GUI version 4.08
Virus definitions None found
Last virus scan 21 May 2009
Last infected file Never

and Scan

Scanning complet (0 signatures)
Files Scanned: 129 Viruses Found: 0 Ready

???

- still seems to indicate no signatures are being used?

Brian

try #clamav on irc.freenode.net

jimmm
October 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am experiencing exactly the same issue, trying to set up a new PC. How did you resolve this?