PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good Photoshop Alternatives?

Grimhound
September 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Are there any good Photoshop alternatives for Linux? GIMP lacks in /many/ of the features necessary to modify images(such as being able to resize selections accurately. GIMP seems to only allow you to drag arrows around rather than offering you the ability to resize with actual competency), and I'm otherwise ignorant to what is offered for this purpose.

And no, Scale Image on GIMP isn't what I'm talking about. Scale Image and Canvas Size are sadly generally identical.

Mornedhel
September 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Nope, no alternatives. I've tried Krita (the KDE equivalent), and it isn't a valid alternative either.

If you have Adobe Photoshop CS2 somewhere, it's supposed to run in Wine.

If you absolutely need Photoshop, I recommend keeping a Windows dualboot or virtual machine.

ddarsow
September 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Umm...Gimp allows you to crop not only to a specific size (ie 200px X 200px), but to position that crop anywhere on the canvas.
There is nothing I have found that PS does which Gimp does not do.

If you are used to PS, do a Google search for Gimpshop. It adds a similar usability and feel to Gimp for those used to PS. It does not add any funcationality, it simply makes it work more like PS users expect.