PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB/Firewire

ghyelde
September 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
i have read the documentation and am still confused. Portable running XP - is installing ubuntu to a firewire or usb hard drive straight forward or is it a problem?

compiledkernel
September 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Are you wanting to install Ubuntu to a portable drive so that you can then subsequently boot from that portable drive?

If so, yes its fairly straight forward.

elmoosecapitan
September 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
In stead of choosing your C: drive as your main drive you will choose your E: drive, or whatever port represents your usb drive.

cheers

Harisz750
September 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
ok.. but what about grub? where should it be loaded? in c drive or in usb? then.. is the usb drive needed to be plugged in when system boots or it can boot in XP without any errors?

compiledkernel
September 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
When booting from a USB device, Grub (as far as I know at least) doesnt even play a role.

So yes, you should be able to boot without any relative issue.

timcredible
September 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
When booting from a USB device, Grub (as far as I know at least) doesnt even play a role.

you always have grub, or you can't boot (it's not just for dual-booting). if you're booting from a usb drive, make sure you install grub on that drive. ubuntukids.org has a tutorial for doing this - you have to tell the installer to install grub on disk 1 (or something like that, i forget). then you have to go into that disk and change the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to point to the usb drive to boot from also. and of course, you have to tell the pc to boot from usb when it powers on. i ran a desktop off a usb drive like this for a while, it worked fine.