PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What will probably happen if I upgrade my Hardy Heron

wariskampar
September 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Upgrading from Ubuntu 8.04

To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '8.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

I take this quote from Ubuntu official page. I would like to get some advise from anyone who has tried this. I'm just worry if my current system will break down once upgrade (internet not working, have to re-configure fstab, pulseaudio problem etc). As for now, I'm very happy with my current setting (everthing work as it is). Do I need to wait for full release or do clean install (with CD)?

howefield
September 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
If you are happy with things as they are and are reluctant to upgrade for fear of breaking things, don't do it. You would end up with an alpha version of 8.10 which is likely but not guaranteed to give you issue(s)

Why not download the latest Alpha and try it as a live cd, then you will have a good idea of how it works on your system.

ohzopants
September 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since the Warthog days and I've done my share of upgrades. Sometimes they've worked beautifully, like 6.06 to 6.10, and sometimes not so much. I prefer doing fresh install.

I have my system setup with a separate /home/ partition so I don't have to worry about my files and most of my application preferences are maintained.

But I certainly wouldn't do it now! Unless you're willing to accept all the sketchyness that comes with alpha/beta software. Also keep in mind that 8.04 is a LTS release, meaning it will have updates available for another 2 1/2 years. (But who can resist a new version?!)

waspbr
September 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
if this is you main working computer then the answer is easy, don't.
if it isn't then, back up your essential files and documents and sure go for it.

I am little paranoid about this, in boh my computers, i keep an extra linux partition. A stable partition for hardy and a testing partition for intrepid.

clean isntalls are generally prefered over upgrades, although unlikely that the upgrade is going to break anything it is still possible.

So yeah, it's up to you, try to push back the upgrade fever.

simtaalo
September 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
personally id wait a little while before doing the upgrade, give time for the bleeding-edge users to test it out and see how it goes.

lswb
September 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Personally I have not been successful with upgrades. If you read forum posts after a new release you will see a signifcant number of posts about problems and failures. I tried to upgrade 2 different 6.06 systems to 8.04 and both failed with different errors. Fortunately I cloned the working partitions before attempting the upgrade. I'll probably try to upgrade again but I would never try it without backing up first.

Kevbert
September 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't upgrade yet as Intrepid Ibex 8.10 is not even in beta yet (Alpha 6 currently). There are a few problems still to be ironed out. Anyhow Hardy is LTS (Long Term Support) so it will be supported for at least another year with updates. If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it....

howefield
September 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Anyhow Hardy is LTS (Long Term Support) so it will be supported for at least another year with updates.

LTS gets 3 years to be precise, so should be good till April, 2011 :)

Kevbert
September 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
LTS gets 3 years to be precise, so should be good till April, 2011 :)

OOPS. Thanks.

philinux
September 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
And 5 years for the server edition.

lazyart
September 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Heh... i've gotten so paranoid about upgrading that I always stay a step behind. I upgraded to 7.10 a week before Hardy was released. In another two weeks I'll jump to 8.04. When I did finally go to Gutsy I started it on a Saturday morning with nothing else planned in the day so I had time to fix anything that might break... and it worked flawlessly. A bit anticlimactic, but at least I had a free weekend. :)

So when the threads come up with "Intrepid Issues", "Intrepid upgrade broke my system", "Intrepid is the worst version ever" or "Upgraded to Intrepid, now <insert hardware item> doesn't work", I'll just keep humming along. But I will quietly thank all of you for getting the bugs out for me.

But upgrade to an Alpha? Heavens no.

As for now, I'm very happy with my current setting (everthing work as it is).If you're very happy, why do you want to upgrade?

nowshining
September 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
if the OP switched to hardy from gutsy then they'll go from a gorilla/ape creature to a swan/bird like creature...