PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] new build -- xp/kubuntu hardware question

badperson
September 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I have a new build (love it) with xp and kubuntu.
It's an amd dual quad core machine.

I have two HD's, they are both detected in bios, but neither xp or kubuntu sees the second one.

The other problem is that I can't seem to get any audio. I have a creative audigy sound blaster card that xp detects, but when I play a cd and try plugging headphones into the various jacks on the back, I don't get any sound. Same thing in kubuntu.

any ideas?
thanks,
bp

aeiah
September 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
well these are two different problems. what is your 2nd hard drive like? is it formatted? is it enabled in bios? when you say 'it isnt seen in kubuntu' do you mean it isnt mounted or do you mean if isnt even visible in /dev/ ?

badperson
September 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hi,

the two drives are identical. The second is not formatted...I thought I'd be able to do that with the OS installed.

I do not believe it's visible in /dev but I'll need to check; I'm used to gnome and just getting used to finding my way around kde.
thanks
bp

waspbr
September 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
well, what I would do would be to download gparted in synaptic, and run it to check if it is there.

alternatively you could check by inputting the following into terminal

sudo fdisk -l

if everything fails, then I reckon it may be a jumper problem, just double check it the master/slave jumpers are set correctly

rustutzman
September 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
For XP go into Disk Management and see if the drive is listed there. If it is you can format it there and then XP will list it in Windows Explorer.

Russ

badperson
September 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
great, thanks for the replies!
bp