PDA

View Full Version : Creating a logo - tips please

beercz
September 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I am considering becoming a part time IT Consultant, and want to do my website and "corporate image".

As part of that image I want to create a simple, yet effective logo. What factors should I consider when creating such a logo?

Any tips/advice will be most gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

fatality_uk
September 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
A decent corporate branding from a good marketing company would cost you about 3500. If you can afford it, its an investment.

beercz
September 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM
A decent corporate branding from a good marketing company would cost you about 3500. If you can afford it, its an investment.
Yeah, I know - but I can't afford it at the moment!

I am just "testing the water" to see if I can make a go part time (& full time eventually) consulting.

Thanks for the reply though fatality_uk.

fatality_uk
September 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
In that case cheapskate ;)

Make it non descript. A logo of a CPU or your initials in binary wont go down well with a wider audience. Usually,

Use neutral colours! Just look at the reactions to Ubuntu brown.

northern lights
September 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What factors should I consider when creating such a logo?

1. simplicity

2. uniqueness (to avoid legal concerns & as a requirement on the way to 3)

3. recognition value - a good logo is seen once, never forgotten and forever connected to the brand/product

Tomosaur
September 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
There is a very big trend for typographical logos at the moment - that is, the logo is descended from the name of your company, and reflects some attribute of your company, or is a visual description of what your company does. So let's say if your company did garden landscaping, your logo might be just the name of the company, let's say 'Landscape' for simplicity sake - but the letters would be altered to make an image. So the 'L' might form a flower or tree, the 's' might be some representation of a water feature like a river or whatever, and other letters might just be slightly morphed to give an ilusion of depth and whatnot.

The range of possibilities for a computer consultant are immense, so I would definitely take the time to have a think about what you want your logo to say about you.

fatality_uk
September 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Get you started ;)

http://www.templatesbox.com/free-logo-templates/index.htm

Abras
September 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I read this thread then literally less than five minutes later I stumbled upon this blog post, "105+ Logo Design Tuts And Resources." (http://elitebydesign.com/105-logo-design-tuts-and-resources/) I can't help you beyond that (which is why I passed up this thread the first time around) but finding that post was too much of a helpful coincidence to pass up.

Anyways, hope that helps some.

amazingtaters
September 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The best piece of advice I can give you is this.

K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple, stupid!

A good logo should be simple, easily recognizeable, and something that will be remembered.

Corfy
September 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM
You may want to check out Wikipedia's article on logos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo

Although to be fair, I don't know how many of those rules I follow. I reused my website logo as my avatar.

When you get to the point of actually creating the logo in a computer, I suggest using a vector graphics program like Inkscape or OpenOffice.org Draw (or, if you prefer proprietary software, Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator). Saving your logo as a vector graphic (and exporting as a jpeg, png, tif, or whatever you need in the sizes you require) will allow you to resize the image to almost any size you want without any loss of quality. This is because the file format uses geometry to draw the image rather than a pixel-by-pixel map like most photo editors use. Granted, you may not want a billboard size version of your logo, but you may soon have a need for a size larger than you think you will need, so being able to resize it will be very important.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
For the logo itself, use a program like Inkscape to create an SVG. There is nothing worse than a poorly scaled graphic (which ALWAYS happens with raster graphics), or realizing that the source image is too small to fit on a document.

SVGs are scalable vector graphics; they are not size-limited and they are really easy to work with (for example to fiddle around the colours).

beercz
September 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for your help guys, over the next couple of weeks or so, I will design something and post it here for your "approval" or otherwise ;-)

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM

I would never pay those prices.

Most of those logos are extremely simple and easy to make yourself.

--

Just use a nice font and do something special with one letter (different color, ...).

barbedsaber
September 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
keep it as some form of vector image (svg or something) this will make it scalable, so it will work on business cards, letter heads, and larger images.