PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Completing the conversion

NewNerd99
September 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi all,
After using 8.04 for the last month on a dual boot system (Vista) I'm ready to take the plunge and convert!!
At the moment Ubuntu runs on a small (5Gb) partition, Vista occupies the remainder of my massive 60Gb laptop HDD.
I would like to know if there is a way I can reclaim/format the partition in which Vista resides or do I have to reinstall Ubuntu as a fresh install?
I have had a search but nothing came up on these forums. If I have missed the thread I would appreciate a link to it.

Cheers
Chris

TenPlus1
September 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
You *could* boot from your Ubuntu Live CD and use GParted to format the Vista partition as Ext3 and mark it as a /home partition so that Ubuntu will automatically use it for all your files on next reboot... (Copy contents of existing /home onto it before reboot tho)...

indytim
September 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If you follow the advice above, also modify your fstab to reflect the new location of /home.

IndyTim

rolnics
September 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
If you follow the advice above, also modify your fstab to reflect the new location of /home.

IndyTim

I don't know how much knowledge the op has gain in his first month of Ubuntu and I don't want to put him down, but fstab still confuses the hell out of me and I've been using Ubuntu for over a year!

If you want to go with this option take a look at this tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome) to create the new partition and sort out fstab file.

@op may I suggest you go with the easier option of a fresh install and create a separate /home partition as you go.

Which ever option you take remember the number one rule. Backup any data that you want to keep!

NewNerd99
September 20th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.
As I have backed up anything of value to an external HDD, from windows as well as Ubuntu, the clean install may be the least taxing way to go.

Cheers
Chris