PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] I think I fried my laptop, How can I fix it? :(

swoody
September 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Well, I have a laptop. The cord on it is slightly frayed at one point, so I put some electrical tape over it until I got a replacement charger for it. It had worked fine many, many times since then. Tonight it just turned off completely when I was in the middle of something when I slightly bumped it (very light bump with my leg, not enough to do any kind of physical damage). It didn't keep working off the battery as if the power was lost, it died instantly. The light for the power supply doesn't light up when I plug it in like it used to, and when I hit the power button it doesn't flash the power light to indicate no battery charge as it used to. It's now a fancy paperweight, and I'm not getting any kind of repsonse out of it.

So, how do I fix it? What parts could have fried like that to where I wouldn't get any kind of response from the computer at all? Please, any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I've had this laptop for a while, and it would be nice to have it for a while to come smile.gif Thanks in advance.

Woody

Sef
September 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
The light for the power supply doesn't light up when I plug it in like it used to, and when I hit the power button it doesn't flash the power light to indicate no battery charge as it used to. It's now a fancy paperweight, and I'm not getting any kind of repsonse out of it.

Get a new power supply. It sounds like it shorted out. Either check with the manufacturer or check google, ask, or your choice of search engines.

swoody
September 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Would a faulty power supply also make the computer not run on the battery though? Would it only cut out the power supply? (I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just asking :))

crazypenguin2008
September 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
i got a IGO powersupply for my thinkpad after the old one died. they come with a pack of adapter ends that fit various machines. targus and Igo both goodones. they can be found at radio shack for about $75.00

crazypenguin2008
September 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
is the battery good? my thinkpad battery has a few dead cells and it wont charge. it only runs on the ac power supply

swoody
September 19th, 2008, 07:18 AM
is the battery good? my thinkpad battery has a few dead cells and it wont charge. it only runs on the ac power supply

Yeah, I had it running on battery power a couple times today, and have never had a problem running it on battery. And like I said, when the computer dies from being on battery power the light will still flash when you press the power button to tell you the battery is dead. Now, there's no flashing, and no lights when I plug in the power cord.

swoody
September 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Get a new power supply. It sounds like it shorted out. Either check with the manufacturer or check google, ask, or your choice of search engines.

Do you mean just replace the power cord, or get a new power supply for inside the computer? Every time I try to search for a power supply for a laptop it just comes up with power cords.

swoody
September 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Anyone else have any other tips on what I should do? Thanks again :D

IntuitiveNipple
September 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Replace the AC/DC converter and connect the PC to it without the battery - if that works you know the PC is fine. If it doesn't, either the PC is a write-off or if the cost is bearable, it will need a replacement circuit board.

Was the damaged cable on the DC side of the AC/DC converter (the side nearest the PC) ?

If so it sounds very much as if it caused a short-circuit that has knocked out the battery-control circuitry of the PC.

If you haven't already you should try leaving the battery detached for a few minutes and then reconnecting it - it is a long-shot but it is just possible the control-circuit need resetting (If the battery remains connected they can remain powered).

The next step is test the battery with a multi-meter. Measure the voltage and compare that to the volt rating printed on it. If it is a smart battery measurement might be impossible since the battery's internal control circuits may not operate unless the battery is connected to the PC's battery control circuitry.

If possible obtain/borrow a replacement battery and test the PC on it. That should allow you to determine if the current battery is faulty. Alternatively, try your battery on another compatible PC.

swoody
September 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM
The fray was on the DC side of the cord, right by the plug that goes into the computer. I have a new power cord coming, and I'll be able to run some more testing then, but I did remove the battery from the computer for about 3hrs, and then tried to start it with the battery. Nothing happened. I don't think I'd be able to test the battery with a multi-meter, since the way it's set up, the terminals are very well protected by plastic, and I'd need something incredibly thin to reach into them.

I tried testing my RAM as well, with some new sticks I purchased today. It's something more than just the RAM, as that was to no avail.

I now have the computer sitting with the battery and bios battery out of the computer for the time being until I can test it some more. Any other suggestions for the time being? Thanks again everyone :D

swoody
September 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Well this power cord was SUPPOSED to be in today, but I guess not :( Still waiting to troubleshoot the dang thing...

xebian
September 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Well this power cord was SUPPOSED to be in today, but I guess not :( Still waiting to troubleshoot the dang thing...
IMHO, what happened here is that your 'charger' has been dead for a while, and even though it was connected to the wall AC it wasn't doing anything. So in effect you are on battery and draining it till you thought you bunped it and it died.

swoody
September 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I hope it's something that simple, but my battery is still the original one, and it has a lifetime of about 5-10mins before it goes dead, and I had the computer on for most of the day, the day it died. Also, when the computer dies from a low battery the power light will flash at me when I try to turn it on. Now it's not flashing at me at all, and I can't get anything to work. I know the battery was working fine that day, too, since I had it off the charger, and saw the charging symbol a couple times too when I'd hook it back up.

But alas, fingers crossed that you're right, it would be much easier on me :)

swoody
September 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Well I got my new charger today. The thing is seriously 3ft long!!? I am going to need an extension cord to use it with the outlet next to my bed ( I can touch the wall that the outlet is on while I'm sitting on my bed :( ) Damn eBay! Anyways..... My RAM, motherboard, and battery seem to be fine. I think my harddrive is crapped out though. When I try starting the comp now it'll load the normal boot screens fine, but when it starts loading the HDD, it freezes and makes all kinds of weird patterns on my screen. It loads fine from an Ubuntu Install CD, though. I'm going to try to see if I can reinstall my OS on the HDD to see if maybe it just got scrambled or something got erased, and that would be really nice :D Anyone have any other ideas I can try before getting a new HD? Thanks again everyone!

Woody

lisati
September 26th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Well I got my new charger today. The thing is seriously 3ft long!!? I am going to need an extension cord to use it with the outlet next to my bed ( I can touch the wall that the outlet is on while I'm sitting on my bed :( ) Damn eBay! Anyways..... My RAM, motherboard, and battery seem to be fine. I think my harddrive is crapped out though. When I try starting the comp now it'll load the normal boot screens fine, but when it starts loading the HDD, it freezes and makes all kinds of weird patterns on my screen. It loads fine from an Ubuntu Install CD, though. I'm going to try to see if I can reinstall my OS on the HDD to see if maybe it just got scrambled or something got erased, and that would be really nice :D Anyone have any other ideas I can try before getting a new HD? Thanks again everyone!

Woody
Possibly some of the setting in your BIOS or HDD got scrambled - some BIOSes come with a "restore to default settings" option. Another thing to check is the integrity of the data on your HDD - I've never done it manually, so someone else may have to step in and help.

swoody
September 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Well the screen seems to be working fine now. I replaced the new RAM I had installed with the original ones, and it works fine, but now it'll get to the point where it's loading the OS, and then shut off completely. When it shuts off now the power light and charging light flash like strobe lights. I've never seen any lights on my computer do this before, and I have to remove the battery and power cord for a minute to get it to go away. Any ideas?

rustybronco
September 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Take your model number and search for motherboard problems: I think you will find your answer there.

swoody
October 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I replaced the motherboard tonight, and all is working fine :)

Something must have blown on the MB when the cable shorted out :(
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys:)

thingy87654321
December 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
i had a apple powerbook g4 and a laptop with a dead processor and i did not have the charger for the apple
i was messing around i tried to charge the apple battery with a usb cable that i connected to the other laptop
the resultses were horrible
battery burnt me and the laptop is now fryed
and when i plug in the charger for the laptop the lights flash randomly the processor is ice cold the fan is dead and the screen just flickers randomly
i ended up with a new toy to destroy with my beloved baseball bat

the funny thing is that the apple battery was fully charged :p

thingy87654321
December 25th, 2008, 07:08 PM
i may be wrong, but i have rebuilt many laptops and there is not a powersupply in the laptop, unless you are talking about a battery, because a power supply does exactly what its name infers, it supplies power to the computers parts, on a laptop the charger would be considered a powersupply