PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] SiS Mirage 3...

deanium
September 19th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Hi,

I've managed to install Ubuntu, and get it all nice and updated, however I can't get out of 800x600 resolution. Now I've found Linux drivers for what I assume is close enough to my graphics card... only it claims to be for Redhat Linux, not to mention I honestly don't have the first clue as to installing drivers in Linux, as I have been tainted by the commercial world of Microsoft.

If anyone could let me know if that driver would be ok, or where to find a decent univga Linux driver, and possibly how to use it, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much,
Dean

deanium
September 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I managed to sort it using a little help from a HOWTO I found. I believe it was on this forum, I honestly can't remember, and for that I apologise, but more to the point it explained the use of "sudo displayconfig-gtk", from which I was able to run VESA generic drivers, and display in a widescreen resolution. I was however quite perplexed that the SiS Generic, and the Generic VGA drivers didn't work.

I am currently unable to use Visual effects (from the desktop background properties) however everything else is smooth and nice.

If anyone reads this and knows how I could get better results, or enable visual effects, please PM me.

Cheers,
Dean