PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing on a Home Network

Nitefang
September 19th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I need to print some papers on my home network. Ubuntu doesn't see the printers(there are 2) as printers in fact it only come up with different types of paper(settings I guess???). Anyway I know I had just seen a tutorial on setting up the default printer here or on a different website. I really need to get this done to night so I saved them as both .doc and the default for open office because i didn't want to take the chance with that warning sign. I can put these on a thumb drive if I can't figure it out tonight.

So if you know where a tutorial is for setting up a printer or you know yourself please tell me!

Thank you!

Nitefang
September 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I try not to bump thigns to much but I really need to know this... so....

BUMP

Sef
September 19th, 2008, 07:00 AM
1) What operating systems and version so you have on your computers including the print server?

2) Please wait for at least 24 hours before bumping. Thank you. It can be frustrating, but we are all volunteers here, so your thread may be answered fast or answered slow.

texkid
September 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Assuming you're running XP on the system connected to the printer...

Go to System-->Administration-->Printing.
A window should pop up, click on New Printer. Some fancy foot work should occur and it should ask for URI. There, you type in the network path to the printer.

Example URI: //network_name/computer_name/printer_name

If by some miracle it does automatically detect the printer, click on "Windows Printer via Samba" and just follow the steps.

Nitefang
September 19th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry again about the Bumping, it was just that I needed to know quickly because I was fearful that even though I saved my work as ".doc"s the other computer wouldn't recognize them and I'd be screwed. Luckily they did open correctly and I managed to print them.

I will try the fix you suggested, I can't at the moment because I am at school. I'll post results.

Thank you!

PS- On the computer that the printer is connected to, it is running XP.