PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eight Virtues PC?

kshsj777
September 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Is Eight Virtues PC a good company? I tried to google it, but I only got one relevant result that was supposed to be a review of one of their computers but it was only a paragraph long.

Their basic prices for the desktops are pretty good, although I'd buy a monitor from somewhere else.

Here's their website:

http://sales.eightvirtues.com/default.html

Thanks

oilchangeguy
September 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Is Eight Virtues PC a good company? I tried to google it, but I only got one relevant result that was supposed to be a review of one of their computers but it was only a paragraph long.

Their basic prices for the desktops are pretty good, although I'd buy a monitor from somewhere else.

Here's their website:

http://sales.eightvirtues.com/default.html

Thanks

i would buy a computer from somebody like dell, etc. first. just order it with no operating system. and install ubuntu. eight virtues could be out of business before the warranty expires.

kshsj777
September 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Okay. Thanks.

adult swim
September 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
you may want to look into www.system76.com. i have heard nothing but good things about them and they even have their own help section here on ubuntuforums.

kevinfishburne
September 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hi all, as the owner of Eight Virtues I wanted to provide you with some information about my company. We're about a year old now and are still going strong thankfully. While everyone talks about the Linux desktop that even Grandma can use, creating that idealistic desktop has been shown by retailers to be a difficult task. Our primary objective is to provide systems customized to afford that level of instant usability without sacrificing the underlying system with custom kernels and the like.

You can find more information about us here:

http://sales.eightvirtues.com/about.html
http://sales.eightvirtues.com/testimonials.html

We're always available to answer any questions you may have, so if you do please feel free to ask.

Bob377
December 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I ordered an Eight Virtues PC on 11/18/08; I got a message to expect delivery in 1-2 weeks. I sent Eight Virtues an email on 12/2/08 asking the order status, but I received no reply. I called their number, 770-853-6271, during normal business hours for them (they're on the east coast) and I got their answering machine and no callback.

I finally received an email reply on 12/4/08 apologizing for the delay which they said was caused by their supplier. The PC was shipped 12/8/08 and delivered by DHL on 12/17/08. The PC works well.

Overall, I don't regret buying it: it was a good deal. But I think they could improve their customer service by emailing customers of delays before customers have to ask, and replying to customer emails within 1 business day instead of 2.

technologiclee
April 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
I have an Eight Virtues 007 PC - serial #1

Dual core AMD 3.2Ghz
8Gb memory
500Gb hard drive

I have been completely pleased with this computer.

They were even reasonable and let me change my order when i realized i could get more memory. In my case the shipping was quick and all painless.

joephi
August 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
i would buy a computer from somebody like dell, etc. first. just order it with no operating system. and install ubuntu. eight virtues could be out of business before the warranty expires.

I know it's been many moons since this was posted, but I just wanted to add my two pennies.

I have bought Dell in the (distant, 2002) past, and in general I like their hardware. It's just their ancillary policies with which I'm not happy.

Let's start with the weirdness of only offering free shipping on my order only if I ordered it through their SMB division instead of their "home user" or whatever division. (They also have enterprise and government divisions in addition to those.) The exact same system ordered through their home users site would not show a shipping discount of any kind.

Next, they're selling their FOSS OS computer of the same model at the same price as the one preloaded with That Other Monster OS Seller (tm)...that is, not giving the little guy a break because it cost them hardly anything for the OS (I'd think a fraction of a cent per instance vs. many $$ for TOMOSS's product). From a mass-production perspective, it seems a TOMOSS would be even more involved than say an Ubuntu install due to their product keys, activation keys, and so forth, thus actually more expensive for them.

Next, they seem to make it more difficult than necessary to find their FOSS models. Maybe it's just my perception; I don't know. Seems it would be more appropriate from a FOSS support perspective if they would put them pretty much on the same level as their other products, and not put "Dell recommends <insert latest TOMOSS product here>" all over their pages and literature (which they no longer mail to me). (speaking of which...Don't forget nothing's genuinely free, so I partly paid for these full color glossies they used to send every couple of months...for YEARS with no additional purchases.)

Next, I'd really like an AMD system (which they DO sell, but with TOMOSS), and they USED to sell them with either FreeDOS or some Linux distro, but last I checked about 6 months ago they only offered Intel-based FOSS PCs.

Next, they would always insert some sort of language in their specs ("data only") for their DVD drives, leading me to believe they were being sold with some sort of drive firmware which would make it unusable for DVD video...which is ridiculous. (God only knows what pressed them to include this. I actually called them up and asked them about this, and they didn't have a particularly definitive answer.)

But last, and maybe most important, Dell has chosen to ignore KISS on their Web site, making it more difficult than ever just to bring up information on support.dell.com, requiring all kinds of JavaScript for the site to even function, and not warning the user if it happens to be nonfunctional (think NoScript). Their site used to be very, very good, but again, they're more interested in flash than substance, even with animating their system customization pages instead of just gettin to the gettin, if you know what I mean.

Again, I'm a *generally* satisfied Dell past customer, except these annoyances really add up after a while. The overall Dell experience BACK THEN was just superb. All I'm saying is, although major vendors like Dell are big for good reasons, sometimes they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Now, like others in this thread, I tried Googling about these folks, with very slim, relevant, review-type results. Even a couple years later, 8V is still around, which probably says something.

Just thought for completeness, I'd describe what I bought back then:

Precision 360
512M ECC RAM
40G disk
Audigy2 sound
64M nVidia AGP card
had a choice of XP or 2K; chose 2K to avoid activation key frabba jabba, but replaced it with Fedora Linux anyway.

Jay Car
August 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I've recommended Eight Virtues to friends and two of them have purchased desktops from EV. The computers arrived in good time, in good shape, and so far, no one has had any problems with them. I'd recommend Eight Virtues again.

System 76 is also very nice, if rather expensive. Zareason is good too, with great support..nice people.

I wouldn't buy from Dell or HP, ever again, and never recommend them to others anymore.

denisbathome
October 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry to report that I'm not having a good time with Eight Virtues. Ordered a PC nearly thirty days ago. Since their ETA is 2-3 weeks, I pinged them for status. No reply to email or phone for a week, despite Mr. Fishburn's assurances above and his web site's encouragement to call if I want to "hear a friendly voice".

I have no problem with delays, as long as I'm kept in the loop. Stuff happens. But total silence is ominous when you're buying on line. Approaching a month now, I'm going to have to stop credit card payment soon if I don't hear from Eight Virtues.

denisbathome
October 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Update: Happy to report that my laptop has shipped, according to the shippers. I don't know if it's in response to my phone and email messages to EV or to this forum. Either way, I want to be fair to Eight Virtues: my complaint is not about the product or the fact that they took a little longer than they estimated -- it's about communication. It's tough to do business with anyone who won't get back to you, even if things eventually turn out okay.

Update to update: the laptop arrived as promised. So did an email apology from Eight Virtues for the non-communication. They did explain that the system took longer than normal because my configuration was new to them. The laptop was perfectly set up and has performed beautifully.

>Sorry to report that I'm not having a good time with Eight Virtues. Ordered a PC nearly
>thirty days ago. Since their ETA is 2-3 weeks, I pinged them for status. No reply to email
>or phone for a week, despite Mr. Fishburn's assurances above and his web site's
>encouragement to call if I want to "hear a friendly voice".

>I have no problem with delays, as long as I'm kept in the loop. Stuff happens. But total
>silence is ominous when you're buying on line. Approaching a month now, I'm going to
>have to stop credit card payment soon if I don't hear from Eight Virtues.

jlinx
April 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm afraid I'm having a similar experience. I ordered an EV machine over a month ago. It took several emails after the 3 week mark just to get a reply stating that the machine would be shipping out by last Thursday. Sadly, its Sunday and I've yet to get any confirmation about the shipping, so I must assume nothing has happened. I would like to think that this is because EV is so busy selling Linux machines to people that they are backed up in getting mine to me. That would at least make me feel good. However, I get the distinct impression that this is not the case. It would seem, due to the "pulling teeth" model of customer service they have (calls and emails that go unacknowledged and unreturned) and the long delays in shipping out the product, that this may not even be a real company but rather the founder cobbling together machines in his basement as a second job. Even if that were the case, that's FINE as long as there is some communication and some attempt to treat the customer with respect. So far, I have seen little of either with this company. My advice until I hear from EV? Don't be in a hurry when you order from Eight Virtues and consider instead a purchase from System 76 (a company I had a great experience with).

joephi
April 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I would agree. There needs to be SOME sort of non-automated reply to questions for me to recommend anyone to anyone. VoicePulse has the same issue--sure, you can see that some system has received and saved an email or a Web submission, but when consistently they do not answer THE QUESTION and instead say all sorts of things indirectly THINKING it answers the question, well...that's just not good enough. And even worse is the big silence. I would tend to agree that this is just someone with a little Web-based side biz. To me, the silent shoulder just isn't worth it.

With some not-too-difficult research with what's on their site, I can build my own, and use the same or similar components. For example, the system I was considering, I can see the Gigabyte mainboard used, RAM is pretty generic and is pretty easy to add, the gfx card it stated, plus I can have a 6-way processor instead of their stock machine. Installing the OS is not so bad, and at least when I built my last OS, it was not too difficult to get all the components I wanted (e.g., Win32 codecs, DeCSS, MPEG/LAME...all that stuff which people are reticent due to patents and such to include with OS builds).

So yeah, I can go to people with a reputation for being responsive, or those who seem to give a reputation of waiting months for a system which would be plenty of time to do myself.