PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot access any folders in GUI and desktop icons have disappeared... Help plz!

comprendrelinux
September 19th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hi!

After trying to put 4 wallpapers on each side of the cube following this post http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6199 I broke nautilus and now I cannot access my folders(home folder, /media, ...).

My desktop icons have also disappeared and when I right click on my desktop to change background for example nothing happens(no window opens).

Can anyone help?

PS:I'm on Hardy Heron 8.04

nautilus

Initializing nautilus-share extension
Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
seahorse nautilus module initialized
Segmentation fault

whizbaby
September 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Go to a non-graphical terminal (eg by hitting ctrl-alt-F1) and try
Try

sudo apt-get remove nautilus --purge
sudo apt-get install nautilus
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
In the thread you posted nautilus is removed first via apt-get, so this doesnt seem to present problems. So just removing the installed version and reinstalling from the repositories should solve your state. If not I cant help you further to solve, but I can suggest doing

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
then reboot your machine and choose a 'xfce4' session at the login screen and login. Its not gnome, but at least you would have a working desktop until you solved your gnome problems, and xfce isnt so bad at all.

whizbaby
September 19th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Sorry but I forgot something: if the apt-get command cant remove nautilus, do it with dpkg

sudo dpkg -r nautilus

comprendrelinux
September 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Do you know how to re-install from repository? I tried to install nautilus_2.22.3 for hardy but still doesn't work...

I installed Konqueror yesterday to be able to access the files but still i would like nautilus to work properly on gnome....