PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot boot

Deltoro
September 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hi.

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server-i386 and ran it through virtual PC, but when it comes time to boot itself it can't because I don't have kernel 0:6 or something like that.

I asked a friend of mine but he doesn't work Linux so he didn't really know, only that it was something to do with my CPU PAE.

He suggested downloading the Desktop version of Ubuntu, what I want to know is would this work? If not, what Linux OS and version would work?

Thanks in advance.

jemate18
September 19th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hi.

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server-i386 and ran it through virtual PC, but when it comes time to boot itself it can't because I don't have kernel 0:6 or something like that.

I asked a friend of mine but he doesn't work Linux so he didn't really know, only that it was something to do with my CPU PAE.

He suggested downloading the Desktop version of Ubuntu, what I want to know is would this work? If not, what Linux OS and version would work?

Thanks in advance.

So do you want a server? If yes then a server edition is good, problem is that it doesn't have a GUI installed, and that the applications there are limited out of the box.

For your desktop... well the desktop 32 bit edition is the best, it has a lot of applications out of the box and that it works!

Deltoro
September 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Well, I want to use it as both a server & desktop.
If the Desktop edition doesn't require the PAE kernel I'd download it. Do you know if it will work?

Deltoro
September 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM
bump

Deltoro
September 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Okay, fixed the problem. Can't virtual PC it because I think virtualbox can only support 32bit while Ubuntu is 64, I just installed it directly to my hard drive and it worked...

Sef
September 19th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Glad you got it working.

Please don't bump your thread until 24 hours have gone by. Thank you.