PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox killing system audio?

Grimhound
September 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I've been having an issue that seems like whenever Firefox needs to use sound and video that the rest of the system has its own capabilities for sound and video stripped until Firefox is done using it. I'm not sure how to fix this or even if it's fixable, and was hoping someone knew of a way to make it so that Firefox doesn't hog sound channels like that, as it can get old very fast. :confused:

Bakon Jarser
September 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
*sigh* Another pulseaudio problem. Why hasn't ubuntu issued an update when a fix has been available for so long?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Grimhound
September 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
*sigh* Another pulseaudio problem. Why hasn't ubuntu issued an update when a fix has been available for so long?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

When I try to do step 1:

$ mkdir ~/pulse-backup; sudo mv ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf ~/pulse-backup/
it gives me this error,

bash: $: command not found
mv: target `/home/matthew/pulse-backup/' is not a directory

Any idea?

Bakon Jarser
September 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I suggest reading the line directly above that command.

1. Backup important configuration files (don't worry if you see "no such file or directory" warnings):

Don't ever just copy and paste blindly. Read about what you are doing. It may be important.

mc4100
September 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
When I try to do step 1:

it gives me this error,

Any idea?
The first command should have created that directory:

mkdir /home/matthew/pulse-backup && sudo mv ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf ~/pulse-backup/
edit: Ah, it's because you straight copied and pasted (thus including that "$").

Tatty
September 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
If this appears to be with flash applications, then there is a fix in the repos.

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

Info on it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

Grimhound
September 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I tried everything and it's as fussy as ever, sadly. Do any of you know if 8.10 is going to be continuing with this BS, or are they sorting this out?

mc4100
September 19th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I tried everything and it's as fussy as ever, sadly. Do any of you know if 8.10 is going to be continuing with this BS, or are they sorting this out?

They're shipping a new pulseaudio (i think), Firefox 3.0.2, and Flash 10 .. so it should be fixed.

Edit: Fixed "there" to "they're" ... I'm an idiot.

Grimhound
September 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
There shipping a new pulseaudio (i think), Firefox 3.0.2, and Flash 10 .. so it should be fixed.

Ah. Good.

Well, after all that and swapping out Totem for Gecko, it seems to be working nicely.

sunwukim
September 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
After Firefox 3.0.3., I too lost sound on Youtube, and others.

I used the following:

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

and nothing else, and this worked for me in Hardy 8.04. Thanks for this thread!
Without these spaces, noobs like me would drown....