PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Nvidia 9 Series Driver Install

Mardoct
September 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't find any automated installation for my Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT, so I found a way to install it manually and get it to work with my X server.

Get the driver here. (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)

(My installation assumes you rename the file "Driver.run" and put it in the '/home/UsernameHere' directory.)

Right click on the driver file -> properties -> Permissions -> Allow executing file as program
Get the libc6-dev package from the Synaptic Manager. If it prompts you to install dependencies, do so.

Go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal (Or Konsole, or any terminal.) and Enter:

sudo init 1

This will close the X server and leave you at a screen asking what you want to do. Press the arrow keys to highlight the "root" option and press enter. Go ahead and type in:

'/home/UsernameHere/Driver.run'

This will run Nvidia's installer Go through the steps. When it finishes, you're back at the root prompt. To finish off the installation enter:

nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Change the last line to read

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

Press ctrl+x to save it, y to confirm and enter to finish. Now reboot the computer. (You can use the command "reboot" to do this.)

Hope this helps. Only tested with the 9600 GT driver, but I see no reason this shouldn't work for other 9 series cards.

HousieMousie2
September 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM
This did not work for me... but this did:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880787

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to cross link threads, since it seems like every other person's machine is different.

Thanks for the link to the driver, Mardoct!

Cheers

uberlube
October 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I am not posting anything here that anyone will find of use... i am merely posting as a reference so i can try this out on my friend CPU....sorry. I tried using the latest driver in EnvyNG to get WoW working...didnt work. I kept getting that stupid memory 132 error...grrrrrrrr!!!! Will report on success though. : )