PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Transformer degradation?

KIAaze
September 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I've been having a really strange hardware problem recently:
When I plug in the power cord of my laptop after it's been off for a while, it takes about 1 minute before the light on the laptop goes on and I can push the power button!

During all this "warming up" time, the transformer on the power cord and the PC make a slight humming noise.

Once the current gets to the laptop and the light goes on, the transformer makes clicking noises until I power on the laptop.

A few days ago, the "warm-up" time was about 10-15 seconds, now it's a bit more than a minute!

Has anyone else ever encountered such a problem?
Is there any way to fix this or is it irreversible hardware deterioration?

Notes:
-I've been using the laptop without battery for almost a year now. (battery dead)
-The clicking noise of the transformer when plugged in while the laptop is off has always been there.
However, the current transfer delay was fast enough. (1 second maybe)

Hardware:
Compaq Presario 2500
Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz
About 5 years old

Other hardware issues I had:
-I had an overheating issue last year which I fixed by opening up the laptop and cleaning it.
-CD player eject button stopped working some time ago (last year?). I have to use a paperclip to force eject.
-fsck failed today for the first time, but I managed to fix the disk by running "e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda5"

Other:
I tried this recently: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend

sync; echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace; /etc/acpi/sleep.sh force
which failed.
I have no idea if the "RTC" got corrupted while doing that.

Just posting anything that comes to my mind which might have done something weird to my system...

KIAaze
October 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Mmh, problem "partially solved".
I still don't know why it started to take longer to "warm up", but what I currently do is that I plug in the cable into the power outlet first (that's where a clicking noise starts) and then only into the PC.

(I forgot to mention this in my first post, but I always used to do it the other way around (PC and then power outlet) because I thought it was better.)

Very late edit:
I discovered that the problem was a contact problem inside the cable near the transformer. When playing around with the cable a bit, the computer tended to suddenly turn off.
It was propbably caused by wrapping the power cord around the hot transformer everytime I packed up my laptop.

In the end, I just bought a new power adapter, which wasn't that expensive. Now I'll make sure to not wrap the cable around the adpter. ;)