PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people insist on embarressing themselves?

ubuntu-freak
September 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I still see some Ubuntu users completing slating Debian, not just here, I mean at Ubuntu Brainstorm, Digg, or wherever. It always makes me cringe slightly and try to understand what's going on in that head of theirs.

Why do you think they do it? Some talk like Debian tried to steal their girlfriend, or said something inappropiate about their mother. Strange.

Edit: To slate someone/something, is to "criticize harshly".

doas777
September 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
so i take it that 'slating' is saying bad things about somthing/someone?

usually slating ('is slated to' is the most common usage) indicates that the aforementioned topic is planned to occur in the future.

anyway, I'm fine with Debian. after another year messing around with linuxes, I should be ready for Debian and Gentoo.

good luck,
frank

Dr Small
September 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Debian is Ubuntu's grandfather. I don't know why they'd be doing that.

pp.
September 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I did not notice any Linux distributions being covered by slate roofs lately.

ezphilosophy
September 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I thought the thread title was a play on all the spelling mistakes on the board and that by spelling things wrong, they were "embarressing" themselves.

howefield
September 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
so i take it that 'slating' is saying bad things about somthing/someone?

usually slating ('is slated to' is the most common usage) indicates that the aforementioned topic is planned to occur in the future...

Nothing wrong with the usage of the word slating

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slating

dwanders
September 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Boy I am really embarrassed :oops:, cause I don't understand this post at all! What is "completing slating Debian"?

I love Debian, it is the pool that Ubuntu draws from and pretty darn impressive in and of itself.

notwen
September 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I use both Ubuntu and Debian, have been doing so for the past 2 years now. Both have their uses. =]

ubuntu-freak
September 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Nothing wrong with the usage of the word slating

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slating

Yeah, I meant slate as in to "criticize harshly".

I was just frustrated earlier by some truly moronic comments I read while searching Google.

I'm okay now. :)

"Let them eat slate".

t0p
September 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Debian is Ubuntu's grandfather. I don't know why they'd be doing that.

They're doing ity because Debian stole their girlfriend. Or said stuff about their mother. Well, I think that's why. That's what the OP said...

I'm gonna go lie down for a bit...

oldos2er
September 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
i thought the thread title was a play on all the spelling mistakes on the board and that by spelling things wrong, they were "embarressing" themselves.

+1

swoll1980
September 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Maybe Debian did steal there girlfriends

ubuntu-freak
September 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I thought the thread title was a play on all the spelling mistakes on the board and that by spelling things wrong, they were "embarressing" themselves.

Hmm, yeah. I guess we can include that. Plus those who cry about the forum CoC and how it doesn't allow them to make nasty posts. Oh, and those who always threaten to leave Ubuntu behind if it's not presented to them exactly how they want it to be.

wolfen69
September 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Boy I am really embarrassed :oops:, cause I don't understand this post at all! What is "completing slating Debian"?

I love Debian, it is the pool that Ubuntu draws from and pretty darn impressive in and of itself.

that's what i want to know. what is this thread about?

ubuntu-freak
September 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM
that's what i want to know. what is this thread about?

It was explained on the first page. To slate someone/something, is to "criticize harshly".

P.S. I'll add this to my first post.