PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Installing Thomson Wireless LAN USB adapter

gregbzh
September 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hello. I've just installed xubuntu on my wife's laptop (Compaq Presario 2100, Athlon XP 2000+, 439MB memory...bizarre number I know, but that's what the system monitor says).

I have a Thomson 802.11g Wireless LAN USB adapter (WLG-1500A) but have absolutely no idea how to go about installing it. I've tried ndiswrapper but don't really understand what I'm doing. No worries about stuffing anything up as I've backed up all data and files.

I'd appreciate any help offered. Cheers.

gregbzh
September 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
UPDATE: I've managed to get the USB dongle detected and thedriver installed. The light on the adapter is lit up but I still don't have an internet connection.

Any ideas? This is the only downer to having Xubuntu installed, although we have an ethernet connection to fall back on.

gregbzh
September 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
SOLVED. I spent all day fiddling around with ndiswrapper, blah, blah, blah. Surely there must be an easier way. The problems with wireless support are a major downside which really need to be addressed. It was OK for me as I had the time and only demi-noobness, but for "non-geeks" for want of a better word, no Wifi etc will keep them with Windows.

Voila.