PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP DV6500, Broadcom connects, internet cuts out after 10 mins



ibtuten
September 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Copied from another forum I frequent...

Problem description: Ok, so I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my HP DV6500 laptop. Everything went smoothly, and it even recognized that I needed restricted packages for my nVidia driver and my Broadcom wireless driver. After installing those and restarting, everything on the laptop works flawlessly, except that the wireless drops out after 10 minutes or so. The GUI wifi indicator still shows me having a signal, and iwconfig lists my network as being the one connected to, but there's no internet, and pinging 192.168.1.1 (my router) doesn't return anything.

Attempted fixes: I have tried manually setting up my wifi using ifconfig and/or the gui tools, but that doesn't connect in the first place, even using the same values that ifconfig/iwconfig give me when I'm successfully connected. I tried ndiswrapper with the latest Broadcom driver from Open-WRT.org, and couldn't get that working. The connection time is now down to 2 or 3 minutes. Internet works fine for those 2 or 3 minutes, and then it's in the shitter.

Operating system: Ubuntu 8.04

System specs: HP DV6500, Broadcom Wireless

update: ifconfig shows eth0, lo, wlan0, and wmaster0... could wlan and wmaster be conflicting in some way?

update: tried disabling IPv6, that doesn't work.

update: I read that the nvidia driver and the Broadcom firmware can clash sometimes, but switching "nvidia" to "nv" in my xorg.conf puts me in 2D-only mode, and that is not acceptable :P



ibtuten@Mjollnir:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:24:c6:2f:e7
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:220 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2600 (2.5 KB) TX bytes:2600 (2.5 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:1a:73:bb
inet addr:192.168.1.104 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:189 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:227 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:193691 (189.1 KB) TX bytes:37799 (36.9 KB)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-1A-73-BB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)




ibtuten@Mjollnir:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"[MYNETWORKNAME]"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:18:39:46:B7:3A
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality=76/100 Signal level=-56 dBm Noise level=-56 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0


edit: The plot thickens... in my syslog:

Sep 17 19:20:57 Mjollnir kernel: [ 579.881674] b43-phy1 ERROR: PHY transmission error
And those repeat indefinitely until I reboot. Disabling and re-enabling the network (or merely disconnecting and reconnecting) don't do the trick. It takes a full reboot.

edit2: Ooook... I tried upping the bandwidth to 54M and now the driver doesn't exist in my restricted modules list. Awesome.