PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New linux machines/best hardware

kpgalligan
September 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and possibly a new desktop. I have fully committed to linux at this point. I use it all day at work. I only cling to windows for a few programs, and will keep a copy on one machine for that reason, but all work related stuff is fully linux compatible.

However. I have a few general gripes. The user interface on any linux install I use always feels a little sluggish when compared to windows or, presumably, mac. I've heard different explanations for this. Some say that's the nature of X-windows. Others seem to disagree, saying OSX has a similar scheme, but doesn't suffer from that same sluggish feeling. Some claim that different hardware, with better driver support, feels less sluggish than other hardware.

I don't know if that's true, but if there is an ideal list of hardware to purchase, rather than simply "functional", I would look to do that. Any input is greatly appreciated.

kpgalligan
September 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I went shopping today at dell. I went to their page with machines configured with ubuntu. I had a gripe with them before, that, basically, they don't offer the same deals as the windows machines, but it was a little vague. today, not vague.

I configured a Studio 15 laptop which came out to $999. Just to check, I went to the regular "Windows" page and priced up the same laptop. With a slightly better graphics card, guess what? $999. There is a $299 discount on the Windows version. Why? I called and was told that, basically, that's just the way things go. Frankly, that blows the "Linux friendly" image that dell is sort-of trying to foster. I told the guy on the phone that I would have to order the windows version, then go through the pain of doing the Windows refund from Dell, or they could just give me the discount. He said he couldn't do that.

Honestly, weak. Dell should offer the same deal to both. Anybody do the refund recently? Advice?

Therion
September 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Is it possible that Dell gets a "kickback" from MS that offsets, or reimburses them fully, for that $300 discount they offer on the Windows machines?

That's a mighty stiff discount and it makes me wonder...

kpgalligan
September 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I have a feeling its like most "soft censorship". For example, you won't find too many articles telling you straight out "Soda is bad for you", because they'll never get another soda ad, or an ad from companies under the same financial umbrella. You DO see half messages, like "Soda is bad in excess, but OK if you drink it moderately", which is kind of true, and doesn't offend so much the advertisers.

Same here. Want to make the nerds happy? Offer machines with linux and no Windows. Dell hopes you'll be thinking "Yeah, dell! You're the best! Down with the man!" At the same time, to say their linux page is on a backwater part of their site is putting it mildly, and the machines they offer have virtually no price cut. Microsoft looks at that and gets the message. They're still pushing windows.

Linux machines should be cheaper for two reasons. Obviously, Linux is free, so that's reason #1. The more subtle reason? Somebody that seeks out and buys Linux is probably far less likely to ever need tech support. At least, their average tech support drain would be far less. That's my guess, anyway.

So, we're back where we always were. Order a windows machine, and if you're in the mood to badger people on the phone, try to get your refund. I think I may actually send notice of my refund before I even get the machine. Just to cover the bases.

yeah, I know. Why not system 76? Because they're more expensive and they're a much smaller operation. That's why. Maybe for a desktop. I know what to do with that if its having problems.