PDA

View Full Version : [other] Ubuntu Mini OS will not be available from Dell as a stand-alone

skroops
September 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I called dell today about ordering the Ubuntu Mini OS as a seperate purchase when it becomes available.

I was told that the only way to get the mini OS would be to return the XP version and order the Ubuntu version.

I knew it was a long shot but I thought at least if I called and asked about it, it would count for something. Apparently not, as they don't have much of a feedback program via phone.

They guy was very nice and agreed with me the about the contradiction in selling Windows as a stand-alone product but not selling the Ubuntu Mini OS, but could not provide me with any recourse as to who to call about it.

If you're in the same boat as me, try and give a call to Spare Parts and Accessories department (This is who handles it) 1-800-357-3355 and ask for the Ubuntu Mini OS upgrade for your Mini 9

notwen
September 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'd almost be willing to bet they'll eventually make it available through their Dell Linux Wiki (http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Main_Page). It may take a while before it to show up, as did their custom Hardy images, but I think it would qualify to show up and if not then I think it would be made available if enough people showed interest in it.

I for one, will be ordering a mini sometime over the holiday/new year season and hope they would add the mini to be the supported models listed on the Linux Wiki. Here's to hoping. =]

gregconquest
September 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
Why not just install ubuntu (netbook remix) on the netbook? If you want to keep the Windows currently there, then you'll have to dual-boot. I don't know how feasible that is going to be on a small SSD . . .

I have ordered a Inspiron mini 9 from DELL Japan, the ubuntu version. It will come with the Japanese version of ubuntu netbook remix and a Japanese keyboard -- and a system restore CD/DVD! I'm hoping to get a copy of someone's English ubuntu restore CD/DVD and just flash my system with that. If the hardware, other than the keyboard, is all the same, it should work.

I'll also make an image of the SSD before I change anything. CloneZilla is looking the best so far. I'm also going to get an external USB CD/DVD to boot from the CloneZilla CD, but you could do this from a bootable USB flash drive (USB memory stick) if you don't want to buy an external drive . . .

Greg

PS Does anyone have an English restore disc they'd be willing to send me an image of? Posting a disc image on the torrent sites would be great. I'll try and post your image on the bittorrent sites if there is nothing protected on there . . . I'd do it with my Japanese disc as well . . . Email me:

conquest [at] spamcop [dot] net

anjilslaire
September 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
Why not just install ubuntu (netbook remix) on the netbook?. . .
I have ordered a Inspron mini 9 from DELL Japan, the ubuntu version. It will come with the Japanese version of ubuntu netbook remix and a Japanese keyboaord ...
PS Does anyone have an English restore disc they'd be willing to send me an image of? Posting a disc image on the torrent sites would be great. I'll try and post your image on the bittorrent sites if there is nothing protected on there . . . I'd do it with my Japanese disc as well . . . Email me:

The Netbook Remix is not what's on the Ubuntu version
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5748408&postcount=47

Please keep in mind a few things. The Canonical "netbook remix" is not what is on these devices. There is a custom UI that was developed for them that comes up. If you don't want to use it, there is an option in the Ubuntu menu to switch back to the normal Ubuntu UI.

You can see it a little bit here: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4578

Also, standard Ubuntu 8.04 will not run perfectly on these devices. A lot of customization has been put into place that ties the Ubuntu install that's shipped with them to the exact device. Things such as controlling Bluetooth and WLAN, being built for the atom's architecture (LPIA), and a lot of applications had to have their UI modified to be able to fit on such a small resolution. Some of this customization will start to show up in Ubuntu 8.10, some won't . Some of it is just wed very specifically to this hardware.

Also:

The installed image includes a non trivial amount of customization to make it run better than vanilla 8.04.1 will run.
This means a handful of kernel patches that aren't yet in SRUs, user experience customization, and being built for the correct architecture (lpia).

If it ships with licensed codecs for MP3, etc, it may not be wise to torrent it...

gregconquest
September 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
I don't see why superm1 said this is not ubuntu's netbook remix. It looks like netbook remix, and the review doesn't mention it not being netbook remix . . . Maybe it is a customized version of ubuntu's netbook remix -- with more codecs principally . . .

While the notebookreview.com review of the mini 9 was detailed on the hardware side, they hardly seem to know anything about linux. They couldn't even find the "add/remove programs" button and thought you had to install apps via the command line.

Greg

aidave
September 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'll also make an image of the SSD before I change anything. CloneZilla is looking the best so far. I'm also going to get an external USB CD/DVD to boot from the CloneZilla CD, but you could do this from a bootable USB flash drive (USB memory stick) if you don't want to buy an external drive . . .

I dont know about clonezilla, but "partimage" works good for this. You can boot from USB key or USB Live CD, then keep your image on an external USB HD, and back up from that. Its worked for me anyways.

brnetonboy
October 9th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Has anybody had any luck in figuring out how to get the Dell Mini Remix CD?

I just got off the phone with Dell, and they said that they didn't have the restore CD anymore, but they had a "Bounce Box" available for $65. I asked what a "Bounce Box" is and she said it is just a CD. I tried to get her to explain why a CD was $65 and all she could say was "it's the whole package"...

wolfkeeper
October 9th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Maybe because they're busy pressing enough copies to include with Ubuntu-laden Mini 9s that haven't even shipped yet?

Give it time.

brnetonboy
October 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Maybe because they're busy pressing enough copies to include with Ubuntu-laden Mini 9s that haven't even shipped yet?

Give it time.

Yeah... she specifically said that the restore CD would not ever be available again. They are discontinuing it permanently. I found this hard to believe and tried to figure out if she meant something else but that is definitely what she meant.

gregconquest
October 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Has anybody had any luck in figuring out how to get the Dell Mini Remix CD?

I just got off the phone with Dell, and they said that they didn't have the restore CD anymore, but they had a "Bounce Box" available for $65. I asked what a "Bounce Box" is and she said it is just a CD. I tried to get her to explain why a CD was $65 and all she could say was "it's the whole package"...

DELL needs to be proactive about this. I don't know the details of the licensing, but if DELL's customizations to ubuntu are covered under either the GPL 2 or 3, then the customized interface is going to be available freely anyway. The codecs included will be a different matter.

DELL could either package their customized ubuntu setup minus the codecs and offer it for free (which will happen anyway, I think.)

And/or they should sell a version of the setup disc with the codecs included and charge for it.

If DELL doesn't do this -- if they make it difficult at all, then users are just going to put up their system restore disc images on bittorrent sites for download by anyone.

Greg

jearod
October 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
My thoughts exactly gregconquest.

The restore dvd will be torrented no matter what. What has stopped people from sharing 'licensed' content in the past? especially codecs in an open source OS.

amanojyaku
February 27th, 2009, 12:33 AM
In order to make a backup you can just use dd. Ie: dd if="devive file name of your HD" of="filename"

For instance if you first hard disk is a PIDE drive then the following would make a restore image of your drive:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/home/me/backup.img

after a while (a long while) it will finish up and tell you how many records in and how many out (they should match) and how long it took. If you are impatient and want to know how far along it is then open a new terminal and type: ps aux | grep dd

Then look for the pid of you dd command and issue this command with pid the pid from the command above: kill -USR1 pid

In the window running your dd command it will give a percentage telling you how far along it is. If you know someone who has just gotten a new mini 9 you can ask them to do this and give you the image then just dd it back to your drive like so:

dd if=backup.img of=/dev/"main drive"

where "main drive" is you main hard disk.

I don't know if it is legal to do this with the mini 9 or not but Ubuntu whether remixed by Dell or not is GPL and therefore free to redistribute and redistribution cannot be infringed even on derivative works. So at least you would have plausible deniability.