PDA

View Full Version : Is branding really important?

ChrisCamacho
September 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
over the last few years I have migrated a number of people away from windows (thank you Vista!) and have come to the conclusion that despite what people like Mark Shuttleworth think Firefox branding doesn't really help as much as you'd think.

While peoples initial reaction to seeing firefox is recognition, it isnt anything like relief !

The main reason that Ubuntu has become as popular as it has, is because a novice can bung a disk in, install it and it *works*, as simple as that (if only it was)

Canolonical have done a darn good job in making Linux work without intervention under a wide range of situations.

So after chatting with my victims err new Linux users about their experience what do they make of the firefox brand?

"well I was kinda disappointed, there's all this stuff that's new and different and the browsers just firefox"

At the end of the day having just one or two rendering engines is a bad idea and until there are more none gecko browsers, choice and innovation is somewhat stifled.

Maybe Canalonical could spend a little of the hundreds and thousands :D they should be making in support contracts - on a webkit (or other) browser...

One thing I defiantly appreciate is having a lot less (almost no) phone calls from people wailing about their damn windoze box!

If any brand is important its the Ubuntu brand that stands way higher than the branding of any browser...

Tomosaur
September 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well Mozilla is just trying to protect the 'Firefox' branding. Like Ubuntu, it has a whole animal thing going on - so they probably just want to keep 'Firefox' assosciated with the Mozilla suite of software. It may be misguided, but that's business for you!

smoker
September 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
mozilla should spend their time improving their products rather than getting heavy about enforcing trademarks and eulas. it looks like i'll be using another browser next month!

billgoldberg
September 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
over the last few years I have migrated a number of people away from windows (thank you Vista!) and have come to the conclusion that despite what people like Mark Shuttleworth think Firefox branding doesn't really help as much as you'd think.

While peoples initial reaction to seeing firefox is recognition, it isnt anything like relief !

The main reason that Ubuntu has become as popular as it has, is because a novice can bung a disk in, install it and it *works*, as simple as that (if only it was)

Canolonical have done a darn good job in making Linux work without intervention under a wide range of situations.

So after chatting with my victims err new Linux users about their experience what do they make of the firefox brand?

"well I was kinda disappointed, there's all this stuff that's new and different and the browsers just firefox"

At the end of the day having just one or two rendering engines is a bad idea and until there are more none gecko browsers, choice and innovation is somewhat stifled.

Maybe Canalonical could spend a little of the hundreds and thousands :D they should be making in support contracts - on a webkit (or other) browser...

One thing I defiantly appreciate is having a lot less (almost no) phone calls from people wailing about their damn windoze box!

If any brand is important its the Ubuntu brand that stands way higher than the branding of any browser...

You can use Epiphany if you don't like firefox.

Epiphany is the official gnome browser.

The current one is still gecko.

The new one (will be in the Intrepid Ibex repos) will be Webkit.

--

Also I have a hard time taking anyone serious who uses words like "windoze".

Btw, it's Canonical, not canalonical.

ChrisCamacho
September 18th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I thought it was canaloniloniloical but there you go I think I might have spelt windoze wrong too oh wait were we discussing trade marks... ;)

adamogardner
September 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM
YO, What's my name?

adamogardner
September 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
why was this thread removed?

nick09
September 19th, 2008, 01:41 AM

What?:confused:

FuturePilot
September 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM

It's right here. ;)

Zyphrexi
September 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM
branding is so important, they've got endless mobs of zombies dedicated to branding, with lots of money.

People are stupid, fickle, and hate change. Brands are reliable and trustworthy. Brands say "this is good because i'm used to it". People will still smile when that brand sets bags of poo aflame at their doorstop, urinates in their bushes, whacks their mailbox with a bat, and lays off all it's workers so it can use cheap foreign labor.

oh this wasn't about branding in general?

well for browsers... ah screw it, look it up yourself.

CarlosNYB
September 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I'm liking the way Opera shows you a thumbnail of what's on a tab, and it's speed dial. It's session saving is equivalent to saving all open tabs. It works nice except for some issues with the most recent Flash which are supposed to be fixed next release (it works with flash, just the latest version of flash files are problematic).

I'll have to look at Epiphany. Thanks for the heads up.

Zyphrexi
September 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
there's also flock http://www.flock.com/

which sells itself as a social web browser. I really like the way it looks, but i'm not so big on that 'social' thing.

earthpigg
September 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
i'm not so big on that 'social' thing.

i am shocked and stunned that a linux user would say something like that. :lolflag:

Glucklich
September 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I though this was going to be about cereals. My bad.

Warpnow
September 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Epiphany is going webkit?

Cool. When it does...Ubuntu should totally have it as the default browser...

doorknob60
September 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Meh, I don't like Epiphany, it's too Gnomish (waaaay too simple, most Gnome apps are decent, I never like Epiphany though). I'm not just saying this because I like KDE, I just never liked Epiphany, when I used it, it felt like I was using IE6...

Zyphrexi
September 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
i am shocked and stunned that a linux user would say something like that. :lolflag:

I often get in trouble due to my anti-human views. They should be more considerate of my intolerance.

i never cared too much for epiphany either. I dunno. Just liked firefox better. It's sad, i'm kind of turning into a windows user in a way, though I still try new progs once in a while.

jpeddicord
September 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Meh, I don't like Epiphany, it's too Gnomish (waaaay too simple, most Gnome apps are decent, I never like Epiphany though). I'm not just saying this because I like KDE, I just never liked Epiphany, when I used it, it felt like I was using IE6...

Epiphany is a tad bit simple for my likings as well. The extensions definitely fix a ton of that. Epiphany SVN also now has it's own implementation of the Awesomebar from Firefox, so there's one less thing to worry about.

Changturkey
September 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Epiphany is a tad bit simple for my likings as well. The extensions definitely fix a ton of that. Epiphany SVN also now has it's own implementation of the Awesomebar from Firefox, so there's one less thing to worry about.

A Chromium is fine too.