PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need a version of ubuntu for old aptop

jvanfleet
September 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I have a Dell Inspirion 8200 with 256Mb ram and a 30Gb Harddrive, I need the best distro of ubuntu for this machine. I have tried 7.10 and 8.04, but they both give me problems. I also need it to take ndiswrapper well and have good support for a netgear pcia wireless card. Any good suggests?

mrtomservo
September 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well, you'll likely find that 256 mb is a small amount of ram to be running the latest and greatest Ubuntu. Have you considered using Xubuntu? Also, did you install both 7.10 and 8.04 from the alternate installation discs?

jvanfleet
September 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I tried xubuntu, but I cant seem to get the wifi utils to work with the card or router right to allow internet access. Also i tried downloading the alternate cd for 8.04 but when loading it said that some of the files were missing and would not install properly, I think it was also looking for a way out to the internet to try and repair the install. But I do not have a wired internet access only wifi. I will try and download a another copy of the alternate disc, and try it. Have you heard of anything being wrong with the iso files?

natehall
September 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I have a Dell Inspirion 8200 with 256Mb ram and a 30Gb Harddrive, I need the best distro of ubuntu for this machine. I have tried 7.10 and 8.04, but they both give me problems. I also need it to take ndiswrapper well and have good support for a netgear pcia wireless card. Any good suggests?

I tried getting Ubuntu on an old 256M HP Pavillion and it dragged! I added some memory to it and it (now 384M) works fine with Hardy now. Xubuntu worked with 256M but I didn't like its terminal. A really great distro for old machines is Puppy linux (http://www.puppylinux.org/) . Its tiny size is designed to load completely into RAM from a live CD. I've got it working with wireless on 4 old machines so far with little problem. (It made one old machine that was slower than grass growing on Windows into something worth surfing the web with! )