PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] laptop video card

Nevon
September 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I'm going to be moving to an apartment where I will only have access to wireless internet. My desktop is getting kind of old, so instead of getting wireless capabilities for it, I've decided to buy a laptop instead.

Now I've only got about 2 weeks until I'm moving, so I really need to decide soon. My main concern is about the video card. I do want to be able to have 3d acceleration, and even though I'm not much of a gamer, I would at least like it to be about as powerful as my current video card (Nvidia Geforce 7300GS). I don't know if I'm being realistic here or not, but those are just my hopes. My budget is pretty large, but I should probably try to stick the total cost of the laptop to about $1500 (I live in Sweden though, so the prices might be slighly higher here).

Now I could get one of those fancy "gaming laptops" with a bigass Nvidia card in it, but those things just eat electricity and **** heat. As for ATI, I've heard nothing but bad things when it comes to their drivers for Linux. So... Intel?

(As I'm typing this up, I'm slowly realizing that if I don't want an Nvidia or ATI card, I'm probably going to have to give up on gaming)

The main thing is that it works well with Linux and XP, has 3d-acceleration, and can handle stuff like photoshop and illustrator.

Any ideas?

What about Intel GMA 4500MHD?