PDA

View Full Version : Add Launchpad Karma to User Details

YaronSh
September 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I was thinking about a new feature that displays the current Karma rating alongside the username in the forum.

Do you find this feature useful?
I was also thinking about having the same feature at the Israeli Forums (We might need some help with implementing this feature into phpBB, can anyone offer some help?)

Best Regards,
Yaron - Israeli Forums Bugs and Localization Manager

LaRoza
September 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I was thinking about a new feature that displays the current Karma rating alongside the username in the forum.

Do you find this feature useful?
I was also thinking about having the same feature at the Israeli Forums (We might need some help with implementing this feature into phpBB, can anyone offer some help?)

Best Regards,
Yaron - Israeli Forums Bugs and Localization Manager

This forum doesn't use a karma rating. The decision to not use it was made a while ago and it will never be used again.

I am sure such features already exist for vBulletin and phpBB though.

<edit>

I see the post and the title didn't match up. Not everyone has a launchpad account and the launchpad data is separate from the forum, there is no reason for us to mix them.

YaronSh
September 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Actually they do match up
I didn't mean to measure Karma by forum activity but only to add the current Karma level from launchpad
If they don't have an account, it won't show and the user representation will take less space (one line less)

I think it adds some sort of motivation to the user's activity in launchpad and adds another dimension to the forum

LaRoza
September 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I think it adds some sort of motivation to the user's activity in launchpad and adds another dimension to the forum

Exactly ;) Motivation to use another site is not the goal of this forum (IMO) and it leads to cookie chasing (kids going after cookies).

Some feel bean and thank counts are not proper for this forum, imagine how they'd feel about karma ratings from another site.

I don't have any launchpad karma. I was once judged by that (Ubuntu membership board). I am constantly judged by the amount of beans I have. I have seen people with new accounts be dismissed quickly, although I knew they knew what they were talking about.

jpeddicord
September 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I believe at one point there was even a talk going about directly linking Launchpad and the forums, so that posting here would even get you Launchpad karma. Don't think they went very far though.

YaronSh
September 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM
That could be awesome
I hope it will eventually happen
A global Karma for everybody
Actually Karma is what we are here for, the only difference that the Karma we are looking for is way more spiritual and cannot be measured in numbers