PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bluetooth headset

dagring
September 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have a nokia bluetooth headset. The headset is paired and appears in the list of bonded devices. The problem is that I can't find the device anywhere in the sound settings. Maybe I look at the wrong places, but the goal of attaching the heaset (+built in mic) is to use it with Skype.

Can anybody give me a hint where I can set up the headset?

dagring

whymichael
October 3rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
I am trying to do the same thing. I'm not there yet, but I do have all of my computer's audio playing through my headset using PulseAudio. I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but it works for me.

Install PulseAudio
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

Setup PusleAudio to manage all/most of your audio streams
Note that this is a revised version of the guide. You should be able to ignore the original unless you have problems:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5587712&postcount=472

Setup PulseAudio to redirect all of you audio streams from you sound card
Run "PulseAudio Device Chooser > Configure Local Sound Server"
Match my settings:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87075&stc=1&d=1222989301

Tell ALSA where your headset is located
[Change the red text as necessary]
Edit "/home/michael/.asoundrc" so that it looks like:

# ALSA library configuration file

pcm.auto {
type bluetooth
device 00:1C:EF:04:DF:FB ## This is the MAC address of your headset
profile "auto"
}

# Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
# (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
</home/michael/.asoundrc.asoundconf>

At this point if you run
pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=auto under terminal. PulseAudio will connect to your headset (A restart maybe required). If you open the "Device Chooser > Volume Control" GUI, you can manually toggle individual audio streams from your speakers to your headset by right clicking on them.

Optional
I recommend creating a bash script for connecting to your headset. The script can then automaticly run when you login and/or you can create a launcher to connect if your headset was not on at login:

sudo gedit /usr/bin/PulseAudioConnectBluetooth.sh

Copy, paste, and save the following into the file

#!/bin/sh
pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=auto

Exit and make the script executable with:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/PulseAudioConnectBluetooth.sh

To connect your headset at startup:
System > Preferences > Sessions > Add
Paste "PulseAudioConnectBluetooth.sh" into the "Command" text box

To create a launcher for connecting your headset:
Right click your "Applications" menu
Edit Menus > New Item
Paste "PulseAudioConnectBluetooth.sh" into the "Command" text box

If you want all audio streams to go to your headset by default
In terminal enter:

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/client.conf

Change the line "; default-sink =" to "default-sink = alsa_output.auto"

Save.

Michael

dagring
October 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanx for your reply. I tried a similar approach to the problem before you answered the thread. I got it working, but the quality of the sound was terrible. I do not know whether this is caused by my BT headset because it's three years old, or if this is caused by wrong setup.

I don't mind making a little adjustments to files, installing programs etcetera, but I mind a lot of that stuff at the same time. It's too much for my capacity. I can't understand why they doesn't make an easy setup for this. There must be a lot of people using Skype or some other client for doing web calls?

dagr

whymichael
October 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
My sound quality is fine, but I can't get the microphone to work. Did you get your microphone working?

dagring
October 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Yes I got it working. I am not quite sure how I got it working, but I made this .asoundrc file:

---------
pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device 00:08:C6:4A:57:45
profile "auto"
}
------------
That's it. I played with some of these test trying to find my bluetooth devices and so on, suddenly the BT headset appeared as an option in Skype, and it workeed! When I called my son over Skype with the headset, he said: -Daddy, it sounds like you're in a war zone!

I think this technology isn't ripe yet, but its frustrating and glorious when you get it working.

Is your headset paired?

dagr:)