PDA

View Full Version : Sad news for gnome users

siimo
November 19th, 2005, 05:19 AM
even Firefox 2.0 will not use gnome native themed controls in web pages (e.g. buttons, comboboxes, textfields etc

blocking 2.0 got rejected, look here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232553#c10

Windows has always had this and guess what even QT/KDE version of mozilla/firefox has it even though its not even pre-alpha.
And of course Konqueror on linux has always had it too.

I'm tired of looking at those 1990's style buttons in firefox :???:

Brunellus
November 19th, 2005, 05:22 AM
migrate to epiphany. GTK integration and the gecko engine. Also smaller and lighter (at the moment).

I like firefox on windows; I like it less in ubuntu. weird.

nrwilk
November 19th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Why not use a nice theme?
There's a whole lot of very pretty ones out there.

https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox

SavageBeginner
November 19th, 2005, 05:27 AM
You can change the look of the widgets firefox uses.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83855&highlight=firefox

23meg
November 19th, 2005, 05:31 AM
It's not about the looks of widgets. Using non-GTK widgets means worse performance, more difficult integration and overall worse streamlining in most cases.

siimo
November 19th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Yes i know they exist but they are buggy.

Fealos: im not talking about the theme, im talking about the buttons in forms etc.

nrwilk
November 19th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Yes i know they exist but they are buggy.

Fealos: im not talking about the theme, im talking about the buttons in forms etc.
hehe, yeah I got that once I read the other replies.

I've also found replacing the widgets to be pretty buggy.

UbunuAndrew
November 19th, 2005, 06:48 AM
According "mconnor" -

This would require significant backend changes and isn't going to happen for Fx2.

Arktis
November 19th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Lame. :???:

The day I start using epiphany is the day they fix it so you can actually install your own extensions instead of just the pre-packaged bundle.

Oh well. Since Shuttleworth's statement about Kubuntu, I figure it may not matter in 6 months anyways. A lot of people might just switch over, possibly including me. I really like gnome too, but switching may end up being more conveniant.

Ew, I feel dirty. :rolleyes:

zenwhen
November 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I have gotten used to them. I suppose it is subjective. I think I would think a lot less of myself if I caught myself considering switching from a DE that I consider to be more usable to one that I really have a great distaste for... over some pretty buttons.

GazaM
November 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM
migrate to epiphany. GTK integration and the gecko engine. Also smaller and lighter (at the moment).

I like firefox on windows; I like it less in ubuntu. weird.

Epiphany also uses the same widgets as firefox, so that's not an option to get nice buttons.

wabble
November 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
As long as the browser keeps a celan look i don't care that much about buttons in web pages as i see them more as dynamic content as the rest of pages. (even if they arent) :smile:

GazaM
November 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I feel the same way wabble... it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, on my Windows XP install (which I use only for testing my web stuff with IE) I use WindowBlinds to have a nive Vista like theme... the thing is that the blue shiny buttons for forms because of my theme looked very out of place in ubuntuforums, whereas when they are the generic grey ones they aren't even noticable.

Although I do think clearlooks would look very nice in web forms :P

Sirin
November 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM
even Firefox 2.0 will not use gnome native themed controls in web pages (e.g. buttons, comboboxes, textfields etc

blocking 2.0 got rejected, look here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232553#c10

Windows has always had this and guess what even QT/KDE version of mozilla/firefox has it even though its not even pre-alpha.
And of course Konqueror on linux has always had it too.

I'm tired of looking at those 1990's style buttons in firefox :???:

What's wrong? Don't like how it's gonna look? THEN THEME IT! (https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox) You know, there's 100+ themes for Firefox and it grows every week! ;)

Lovechild
November 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
What's wrong? Don't like how it's gonna look? THEN THEME IT! (https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox) You know, there's 100+ themes for Firefox and it grows every week! ;)

And if I absolutely must be forced to use Firefox, I want it to look like it belongs on my desktop as best as possible - themes are not the way to do this.

Sirin
November 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM
And if I absolutely must be forced to use Firefox, I want it to look like it belongs on my desktop as best as possible - themes are not the way to do this.

Well, you could use Mozilla. ;)

Lovechild
November 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Well, you could use Mozilla. ;)

or epiphany

poofyhairguy
November 20th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I LOVE the default Firefox theme. Give me the buttons for the default Firefox over the ones that come with Clearlooks anyday.

Lovechild
November 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I LOVE the default Firefox theme. Give me the buttons for the default Firefox over the ones that come with Clearlooks anyday.

Clearlooks doesn't provide any icons, the default for Breezy is the standard GNOME icons - Dapper will feature another set of icons called Humility (it's in Universe I think), another contender to replace GNOME's defaults might be Tango (also in Universe).

ps2wayne
November 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
According "mconnor" -

Good thing I let you know that. :-D

junior aspirin
November 22nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
hey, i have started to make my own gnome icon set based on the firefox theme. i havent got very far mind. i dont have the time, or cant be bothered. there are one hell of alot of icons. i may post it here once i get the main icons changed.

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM

Epiphany also uses the same widgets as firefox, so that's not an option to get nice buttons.

Epiphany doesn't use the same widgets as Firefox. And as stated before, the bad news here isn't about the surface looks of Firefox; using non-GTK widgets means greater hit on 2D performance (which is already a big issue for the Linux desktop at present), more difficult integration and overall worse streamlining than native ones.

GazaM
November 22nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
23meg: as far as I can tell, this thread is about the form buttons etc. 'within' a webpage... epiphany uses GTK for it's interface alright, but the buttons etc. 'within' a website are the exact same as Firefox, and are not GTK.

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
23meg: as far as I can tell, this thread is about the form buttons etc. 'within' a webpage... epiphany uses GTK for it's interface alright, but the buttons etc. 'within' a website are the exact same as Firefox, and are not GTK.
I'm aware that the thread is about embedded widgets but my mind seems to have slipped elsewhere (to the area where I'm having the most problems) for a moment, sorry.