PDA

View Full Version : Trying to emulate my old windows theme in ubuntu

nuroxs
September 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I used to have this program in windows where I could customize my desktop around. It was pretty neat and I got my desktop looking very nice. I want to get ubuntu to make the same kind of looking desktop but I don't know how since i just started using it.

heres a pic of my windows one.

please help me out

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2319/wallzny4.png

YldGuy
September 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I used to have this program in windows where I could customize my desktop around. It was pretty neat and I got my desktop looking very nice. I want to get ubuntu to make the same kind of looking desktop but I don't know how since i just started using it.

heres a pic of my windows one.

please help me out

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2319/wallzny4.png

check www.gnome-look.org .. might find something for your need.

AJB2K3
September 16th, 2008, 06:33 AM
No offence but that looks crap and unproductive, in fact I'm supprised you got winbloze to do anything with the load caused by that layout.

nuroxs
September 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
No offence but that looks crap and unproductive, in fact I'm supprised you got winbloze to do anything with the load caused by that layout.

Huh? Winbloze? I used BBlean and I dont get what you mean by it being unproductive? Why do u think it looks like crap?

DrMelon
September 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Huh? Winbloze? I used BBlean and I dont get what you mean by it being unproductive? Why do u think it looks like crap?

I don't think it looks very good either; I think it's because the stuff is kind of crammed in there, maybe you would benefit from a higher resolution?

howefield
September 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Winbloze is a term used mostly by the mentally challenged to refer to Microsoft Windows.

Don't worry about what AJB2K3 thinks, many of his posts seem written to be unnessecarily inflammatory. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as a previous poster said, gnome-look.org is a good place to start.

ammikulka
September 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
some people are rude, you come looking for help then get insulted by people who dont like what you do.... what does ubuntu mean again.. oh yeeeeeah!! humanity towards others... i use kde-look cause i use kde but gnome-look is good if you use gnome.. also try deviant art (i think thats what its called) they have some nice wallpapers and such

cdsboy
September 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well if you used bblean you can just get black box for linux and use your theme that you had for bblean. Then there is no need for emulating. If your running compiz, get the fusion-icon (in repos) and i *believe* you can use that to switch from gtk to blackbox.

Sand & Mercury
September 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'd suggest starting off with looking around gnome-look.org for nice themes, conky for running statistics, and screenlets for calendars and such...

I prefer minimalistic desktop setups myself but, whatever blows yer hair back mate. :)

Genius314
September 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
You probably know this already, but Rainlendar also runs in Linux.

Audacious can use Winamp themes, so you can just load the one that you were using.

nuroxs
September 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM
ok thanks for the tips that should help