PDA

View Full Version : Why is Dell not giving the UK a decent hardware range for Ubuntu?

xeriouxi
September 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Hi everyone!

I decided to go see how Dell were doing in regards to their Ubuntu PC's that they are selling... I was pretty impressed at the selection until I realised that I was on the USA website. I went to the UK site expecting a somewhat similar choice, but all I got was 2 laptop models! There wasn't even an option to have a desktop machine even though I'm sure they had that a good few weeks ago...

Is there any reason why Dell UK are not providing the same selection as the USA site? :confused:

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 01:05 AM
You could ask Dell.

Computer manufacters seem to be doing weird things lately, so I wouldn't try to understand it.

speedwell68
September 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Why not just buy the PC of your choice and install the OS you want on it. I have an Acer laptop with Hardy on it and my Dad has an older Dell laptop with Mint 5 on it, our choice of hardware and software.

uberdonkey5
September 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Why not just buy the PC of your choice and install the OS you want on it. I have an Acer laptop with Hardy on it and my Dad has an older Dell laptop with Mint 5 on it, our choice of hardware and software.

cos we have to pay for windows pre-install. Also, preinstallation of ubuntu I believe is one of the best ways to promote linux since it seems the installation process (and getting drivers working) is one of the main things that puts off newbies.

Hopefully one day computer manufacturers will employ someone who can install ubuntu on all their models so we have a choice (and it will also ensure that we have drivers for all the new software).

When I bought my dell inspiron 1520 (2GB RAM, 250GB HD) I wanted preinstall of ubuntu but I HAD to buy that version with Vista. Doesn't that seem unfair? I was forced to pay for an operating system I was not going to use.